PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Rumped Warbler

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-07-2010, 09:13 PM
I was down by the Illinois River this afternoon and ran into a flock of Yellow Rumped Warblers who had found a vile of poison ivy climbing a cottonwood tree. I don't know what it was about the ivy was interesting, but certainly something. I am not sure the colors are very good together and am wondering what other feel about them. Is the image worth keeping? Shooting data below. Thanks for any coments.
Nikon D3
2010:10:07 17:33:56
1200mm
1200mm (in 35mm film)
Subject dist: 11.9m
1/1250 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: +1 1/3
ISO: 1600
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 50.8MB
Image size: 1965 x 1636
Color space: sRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sRGB

Mike Tracy
10-08-2010, 07:35 PM
How did you go about obtaining the 1200mm focal length ? Exposure looks decent and I like the catch light but there are a number of elements within the image that are working against you. The bird is placed too low in the frame for me and the habitat isnt complimentary. There are just too many sticks going every which way. The bright orange is overpowering and takes my attention away from the warbler. I would expect some softness at 1200mm but focus seems to be on the rear of the wing and not the eye. It would have also benefited you if he was looking more in your direction.

Did you have the option to move to your left ? Or you could have chosen to go wider for a more environmental feel.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi Mike
I agree with your thoughts on the image. The 1200 mm was achieved by using a 2X extender on a 600 mm lens. I did not not sharpen the image with PS and I certainly agree that there are too many sticks going in every direction, unfortunately you don't always have a choice where you get a shot, but I guess you don't have to post it if it isn't up to snuff either. Thanks for your thoughts and your help on how to make this image better.
Mac