PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leaf Chickadee

Jeff Dyck
10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I was home (near Sudbury, Ontario) for a family wedding this past weekend and while there I passed some time sitting in my parents backyard photographing the friendly chickadees. The leaves were at peak autumn colour making for some great backgrounds.

This was one of the few shots taken without a flash, but I like the look (the flash was actually turned on and attached, but the batteries had run low and it hadn't cycled back up when I took the shot...)

Canon 5DmarkII -- 400L / f5.6 -- ISO400 -- f7.1 @ 1/400s

Julie Brown
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Jeff, I like the feather detail, and the color of the background is very pleasing. Catchlight and head angle look good to me. I also like the angle of the perch in the frame, but I must admit, that the leaf is a bit distracting.

Michael Hogan
10-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Jeff, I agree with Julie, if the leaves were gone it would be better. The other thing that I would have liked is more DOF. If the tail was in focus it would make a big difference IMHO. All that said, great capture as these are flightly little things

TFS

Michael

Sidharth Kodikal
10-08-2010, 01:12 PM
A very cute subject on a nice, delicate perch. Details look very good too. BG is superb.
I too wish the leaf wasn't there though.
The bird looks very centered to me. I would try other crops if possible. TFS.

James Salywoda
10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Excellent fall feel to it Jeff...... Fantastic shot.

Geoff Warnock
10-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Jeff, I really like the concept and the slender perch. The leaf makes the concept for me but it would have been even better if the shape (and maybe colour) was totally uniform for the Canadian symbolism. Lovely shot.