PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Stream - Drakensberg, South Africa

Morkel Erasmus
10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Captured this one early one morning in August 2010 near Giant's Castle in the South African Drakensberg Mountains (translated Dragon's Mountain).

Blend of 3 exposures using luminosity masking.

Our trip was characterized by a lack of decent sunrise/sunset clouds.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f16 @ ISO-100

Dave Mills
10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Morkel, I like how you positioned yourself to get this solid composition. Good framing of the rocks surrounding the small falls captured with even lighting. The way the stream is presented is also acting as a LL taking you to the distant mountains.
The sky has been minimalized nicely. Well thought out and nicely executed!

denise ippolito
10-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Morkel, This is a lovely scene. I like the composition and the waterfall is nice. I might tone down the bright area in the water. The surrounding rocks add interest. Nicely done.:)

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2010, 03:39 PM
thanks a lot Dave & Denise...

Chris Hansen
10-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Morkel, Excellent placement of all the rocks and whatnot that make up the composition. It works really well. A lot of great leading lines into the image.

God bless, chris

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Morkel,

You are getting really good at this landscape stuff.:cool:

As mentioned you did well with the placement of the elements of the image. The water flow slowness is not too much as that would have obscured the FG rocks under the stream. Your choice on the bright water blur's brightness - I am OK with it.
Good use of leading lines and sky minimizes due to its lack of interest related to the rest of the image. Overall well done.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey Morkel,
Sorry....late to the party as I am still in the Tetons but now I have internet! As mentioned above.....very well done and great job minimizing any unnecessary items. Great flow and look to the scene and very well PP'ed!

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi Morkel,

I really like this comp. It really pulls the viewer into the scene. Good choice to crop out much of the sky when composing and your positioning also puts the viewer in the river. Well done!

Morkel Erasmus
10-10-2010, 04:46 PM
thanks a million for the kind comments, everyone! glad you like this one, one of my favourite landscape shots thus far...

Judy Howle
10-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Excellent composition as others have mentioned. I like the earthy colors in the image and the blur on the water is just right.

Morkel Erasmus
10-12-2010, 05:01 AM
appreciate it, Judy!