Copyright: Jeff Parker 2010
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Lens: 105mm

I photographed this Forbes' Silkmoth at Tacubaya Ranch in Brooks county Texas on Sunday. According to the North American Butterfly Association this moth has only been recorded in Cameron and Hidalgo counties (in the US). That makes this a new record!

Dave Mills
10-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi Jeff, A different view of this type of insect which I feel is effective. The subject looks pretty sharp in the wing and head area and I'm surprised you had this much depth with a macro lense at 2.8. The lighting is even with beautiful coloration.
My only suggestions are to crop a little off the bottom which will take out some of the oof area and the green and I would wish for a bit more canvas on top....

Ken Childs
10-07-2010, 10:06 AM
That's a great find, Jeff! :cheers:

Like Dave, I'm surprised that you were able to get this much DOF at f2.8. I agree that a crop from the bottom would be a good idea and since I'm partial to tight crops, I'd take a little off the left and right too. A little more contrast would make those cool colors really pop!

It's easy to see why the common name in Spanish Cuatro Espejos! :)

Steve Maxson
10-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Congrats on your find, Jeff! You have a nice pose with good sharpness on those colorful wings and the feathery antennae of this male contrast well with the dark background. This is a different perspective than I'm used to and my brain keeps wanting to rotate the image 180 degrees. :) I could see cropping a little off the bottom to reduce the OOF area.

Jeff Parker
10-07-2010, 04:06 PM
I tried a 180 rotation, but it just looked weird to me. Maybe because this was how I saw it?

The crop off the bottom is a good idea, Gracias.

Julie Kenward
10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Beautiful work, Jeff! I've never seen one of these in the wild and would love to photograph one. You did a very nice job here...excellent DOF and those antenna are really vibrant against that dark space below them. I also thought about a 180 turn but I know from experience they aren't always successful. I think you did the best with what you were given.