PDA

View Full Version : A different perspective...

Adrian David
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Model = NIKON D300
Exposure Time = 1/40"
F Number = F29
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Exposure Bias Value = -0.67EV
Subject Distance = 0.56m
Metering Mode = CenterWeightedAverage
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light detected
Focal Length = 105mm
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 157mm
Lens = Nikkor 105.0 mm f/2.8 VR
Tripod and strobela were used.

Jay Sheinfield
10-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Beautiful lighting and contrast in textures. Good sharpness in the shroom. My taste would be first to take some off the top to the extent to move the center of the mushroom cap closer to a ROT position. I would get rid of the rid of the bark in LRC as it somewhat distracting and tone down the bright spot on the lower stem and bark. I would want that shroom cap to glow with little in the way of distractions. Very cool!

Ken Childs
10-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Adrian, I really like the backlighting on this! Exposure and DOF look really good. I feel the chunk of bark in the LR is a bit distracting and should be cloned away if possible. Also cropping away about ½ of the black space from the top and a sliver from the right make make the comp look more balanced. When shooting this, if you'd been able to drop down just enough to keep the cap separated from the log, I think you would have had a stronger image although I do like it as is. :)

thijs broekkamp
10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Wow, looks very abstract, i like it alot!

Steve Maxson
10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi Adrian. Very nice backlighting here. I like the subtle color variations in the cap, the curved stem is a plus, and you have good sharpness. My suggestions would be similar to those above - crop some from the top and a little from the right, and try to clone at least the bright edge of the piece of bark in the LRC. :)

Cheryl Flory
10-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Adrian, awesome image!
how did you arrange the lighting?
I might even crop some of the bottom as well as the top and right. For me, the great part is the cop and I wouldn't even need the base of shroom in the image. beautiful.

Dave Mills
10-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi Adrian, Agree with most of the comments above. I too would crop some off the top(too much negative space) which will accentuate the beautiful backlit mushroom more. I like the way you offset the subject but I wouldn't crop anywhere else.
I would also do something about the lit area of bark in the foreground which I find distracting. Good eye...

Adrian David
10-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Thank you very much for comments! The light was sunlight and fill flash...Here is a different crop and PP.

Dave Mills
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Adrian, I would still crop the top just a bit more and I would take out the lit bark on the lower rt.

Adrian David
10-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Thank you ,Dave! I don't know what to say about that piece of lit bark...for me, it gave a feeling of three-dimensionality...to the image...

Dave Mills
10-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi Adrian, IMO the mushroom is strong enough to carry the image and the lit bark competes with it for attention...

Tom Redd
10-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Agree with Dave, the mushroom is wonderful and the bark is a distraction. Wonderful shot, love the backlight and detail

Julie Kenward
10-09-2010, 08:28 PM
What a beautiful mushroom image, Adrian! That had to be a real challenge to photograph and you really made the most of it. I am not having as much trouble with the bark on the right as the others but I would like to see you try to open up the details in that area a bit more if you're going to leave it in. I also think it adds a dimensional depth to the piece and like the scratchy bark against the smooth lines of the 'shroom.

Adrian David
10-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Thank you very much, Julie!

Roman Kurywczak
10-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey Adrian,
Still away so a little late to the party......I like the bark for the same reasons you do and the light was well handled! If possible....try learing the cap from the wood next time out but overall....excellent job!

Adrian David
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Thank you very much, Roman!:cheers:

Chris Ober
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Another vote for the repost. Wonderful job here! Great lighting and I too, like the bark. Some separation between the mushroom and bark would be even better I think. Great work on the lighting.