PDA

View Full Version : Fungus in backlight

thijs broekkamp
10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I´m trying to photograph the fungus in some different ways. I like to hear what you think about it.

Canon 30d, sigma 150mm.
iso 400, 1/1000e, f6.3

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/thijsbroekkamp/_MG_5164bwrktsrgbfull.jpg

Ken Childs
10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey Thijs, it's good to hear you're experimenting with different ways to photograph these things. The lighting on this appears to be coming from the back right which has some direct light showing on the front of the right side of the cap. If this were mine, I'd try cloning away most of that bright area and just leave it showing on the edge of the cap. The backlit portion looks too bright so I might trying toning it down a bit. Since I like tight crops, I'd crop from all sides but would take the most off the top. This would also eliminate part the OOF area in the LRC. I'm undecided about the spiderweb. It does add interest but I think I'd like it better if more of it was showing. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say about it. :)

Steve Maxson
10-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi Thijs. Looks like this little mushroom was "posing" nicely for you - I like the way the stem comes out of the substrate (a log?) at an angle and then curves upward. The backlighting makes for an interesting effect here and I should try more of that type of photography myself. Ken has some good suggestions above for you to consider. You might also experiment with lightening the dark side of the cap just a little to see if you like that better. I would suggest cropping from the top about half way down to the mushroom cap and cropping from the left about to were the spider web starts (this would remove a good portion of the OOF foreground in the LLC). Normally, I don't mind spider webs, but IMO, it is not adding anything to the comp in this instance and because it is so bright, it is pulling my eye away from the mushroom. I would suggest removing it. :)

Dave Mills
10-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Thijs, Two excellent critiques above and not much more to add. Glad to see you working these tiny subjects. Opens up a whole different world of photography....

OvidiuCavasdan
10-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I like the backlighting and the diagonal of the substrate. Good suggestions above, for me cropping as mentioned (left and top) and cloning the spider web is all it needs.

Valerio Tarone
10-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Two excellent critics above. Difficult to add something else.Like the backlight effect .