PDA

View Full Version : magnolia

Jay Sheinfield
10-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Taken a few months ago. Darkened BG. Cropped to frame. Separation between leaves and bud could be better......................looking feedback on comp

Nikon D3s
1/80 sec @ f/16
ISO 400
400mm

Used telephoto to isolate image.
Tripod mounted

Comments always welcome.....................

Jeff Parker
10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
I like the way the petal in the foreground leads your eye to the bud.

Dave Mills
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi Jay, beautiful light with the image sharp where it needs to be. Agree on the separation.
If this were mine I would of added a bit more room to the top and rt side. I also looked at cropping out the opening on the lower left....

Steve Maxson
10-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Jay. I like the soft light and you have good detail in those whites. Good sharpness on the center of the flower and nice DOF throughout. The slight diagonal tilt of the flower is also a plus. The comp on this one could go a number of different ways (all of which are subjective), but I think I would agree with Dave that a little more room on the top and right might be an improvement. :)

Ken Childs
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey Jay, all the positive technical aspects are there are you already mentioned the desire for more separation between the petals and the seed pod so I'll stick with the comp/crop. As Steve mentioned, this is all subjective but my preferred crop would have more on the top and left and quite a bit removed from the bottom. Maybe something like this.

Jay Sheinfield
10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Ken

I like it! I struggled over this one. The foreground leaf is not so prominent.........Thanks