PDA

View Full Version : Green Heron

Amanda Reed
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
This photograph was taken in the Everglades, March 2007. Nikon D100, 200mm, 1/350, f/5.3, ISO 200.

Ivan Miksik
01-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Details on the wing are very nice! Maybe I could prefer to see more space at left and crop some space a right (and see more a he bottom).

Arthur Morris
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi Amanda, and welcome. You selected a very nice subject and produced a sharp image. When you chose to photograph a bird or a scene that is partly in the sun and partly in the shade, problems are almost always inevitable. The exposure for the bird is pretty good but leaves the branch and the white leaf well over-exxposed and without detail. Try to watch the frame edges so that you avoid clipping off toes. Study your camera's manual and learn to use the AF system to create off-centered compositons. The bird here is too centered. Use the S (single servo) AF setting, focus on the eye, hold the shutter button down half way, re-compose, and make the image. Later and love, artie

Judd Patterson
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
A lovely little green heron. This is a great case where you could have used fill flash. You could have then exposed more for the bright branches and use the flash to fill in the shadows to balance the scene. Beware of clipping body parts, as a couple toes didn't quite make it into the image! Great to have you here Amanda!

Amanda Reed
01-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've not used a flash for fill. Something new to learn. Is the built-in flash sufficient or do I need to purchase an external flash?

Another question, I will be in Ft Lauderdale on business and have a little time to play... can anyone suggest a good place to photograph birds in the area? It will give me an opportunity to practice some of the techniques I'm learning from this forum.

Josh O'Donnell
01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I can't suggest anywhere in Ft. Laud as I'm not very familiar with that part of the state...

I would highly recommend purchasing a speed-light. It will help when you need fill for shots like the one you posted and is also invaluable when you need light for many other types of photography. The built-in flash isn't very strong and if you use a long lens the lens itself can interfere and cause shadows on your subject when the built-in flash is used. Also, the built-in flash will likely cause red/steel eye on many subjects. A new SB-600 can be found new for under $200 and the SB-800 is a hair over $300. I own both and they are both great flashes, however if you can swing it the SB-800 is more powerful and worth the extra money.

Amanda Reed
01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Josh. Ordered the flash.