PDA

View Full Version : Roman's Mormon Barn

Arthur Morris
10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Roman sent Denise and I to Gros Ventre just north of Jackson Hole, WY in search of moose and a photogenic barn. We found the barn.

This (HDR) image was created on a mostly cloudy moring (you gotta love digital!) with the tripod-mounted Canon EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens at 36mm. With help from Denise Ippolito I figured out the basics of Photomatix. ISO 400. Bracketed around +1/3 stop exposure compensation.

Don't be shy- all comments welcome.

Dan Brown
10-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi Artie, unless this is supposed to be a blur, I think maybe something went wrong in the upload? Great blur;)

Arthur Morris
10-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi Artie, unless this is supposed to be a blur, I think maybe something went wrong in the upload? Great blur;)

No blur :) My jpeg action destroys HDR images. Not at all sure why. I redid the JPEG manually and it looks a bit better now :)

Dan Brown
10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Ah yes, very nice candidate for the HDR and nicely done! The upper clouds seem to have gray poster edges, I can't tell for sure but if so, this is something that I have experienced with a few HDR's. My remedy was to selectively blur (so you can do a blur here:p) the clouds. I would love to see the full size file! As with some photomerges, HDR's seem to loose their impact when posted! Looks like you are having another great trip!

Dave Mills
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Art,Pleasing image! The opening in the grass creating a LL taking the viewer to the offset barn. (might have brought the barn a bit more left)Pleasing early light with a sky that has interest. Taking a bit off the top seems to strengthen the comp.(just above the large cloud mass) Finally the very bright orange area on the left is a bit bright for my taste and seems to pull the eye in that direction.
Based on your previous comments it seems there was a problem with the jpeg. Is the image shown the one your happy with?

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I like how you placed the barn right in between the two sets of trees - just what I would do. THe HDR gave the barn and trees a good deal of detail which is good but sometimes this really lowers the contrast of the image and makes it appear flat. Though contrast here appears low, the fact it was overcast created a soft look to the light so this interpretation can be representative of the actual conditions. So it is really up to you if you want to bump up the contrast.

I see what Dan is saying about the clouds as they see to have a rather large area of gray around the perimeter of each distinct one. This could be the blurring affect of the multiple exposures. Sometimes I am OK with the affect and sometimes not. Looks OK here but hard to tell with this JPG.

I am debating on whether I like the range half-lite as it is now. If the barn is the center-of-interest, which I believe it is, then the mountains in shade would be less-distracting. Now I find them pulling my view to the back of the image and past the barn. What I find very strong in this image is the sort of path in the grass leading to the barn. That helps to maintain viewers path to and interest in the barn.

Jeffrey Sipress
10-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice image of this classic scene, Arthur. Soothing light and nice comp. I think you can probably lose a bit of the sky to help the balance and really make the subject stand out.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Artie,

Greetings. The foreground, barn and trees are radiant in color but a bit dark in tone. If it were mine (besides being very pleased) I would lighten the foreground through to the barn adjusting for saturation, even out the tonality of the clouds (perhaps there is a single shot that could be blended back in?) and go for a tunnel effect with the clouds (lightening the top part of the clouds in a gradient to the Tetons).

This is one of those shots that looks much better color managed to sRGB.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Morkel Erasmus
10-09-2010, 04:41 PM
lovely interpretation of this scene Artie...I see what others are saying regarding balancing the luminosity - but if the light naturally fell on the barn that way then by all means leave it like it is. nice clarity in details throughout and the HDR is nice and natural...

Arthur Morris
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks all for your constructive comments. I see what folks are saying about the clouds. I am trying once again to learn HDR and have tons of questions. See more on the clouds in the next pane.

Here is one from my post in Digital Workflow that remains unanswered:

I have one major concern. Here it is: I am using Photomatix. I am bringing in at least one dark image that has no highlight clipping. And I am bringing in at least one image that has no shadow clipping. It would seem that when I open the HDR processed image in Tone Mapping that there should never be any blown highlights (that even before I touch any sliders....) If my darkest image has no blown highlights, why are blown highlights showing up in the image that is ready to be tone-mapped????? It would seem that the program is not doing what it is supposed to do...

As for the luminosity issues :), there was a band of light hitting the base of the mountains. Everyone including Denise and I were hoping that the light would hit the cabin; alas, the clouds won the morning....

Arthur Morris
10-09-2010, 05:33 PM
As for the clouds with the grayish outsides and lighter insides.... Here is a lightened JPEG that represents the darkest of the five originals. It seems that the grey outsides/lighter insides were there before HDR.... The effect was accentuated as expected.... Comments, suggestions?

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Artie,

Greetings. I would guess that there are quite a number of different interpretations using the full range of images... Seeing the dark original, I liked the Tetons in with the bluer cast to contrast with the orange sunlit region. I'm not sure what tone mapping can do for the sky (other than draw more attention to it, but since it isn't the subject...). Anyway, this might be headed toward OOTB but I combined your two images - tone mapped & dark original. Much of the top is from the darker original and the bottom from the tone-mapped one. Kept the blue cast for the barn roof. LAB mode curves and RGB curves, punch up the color and brightens the barn. oh, and a very slight Orton for grins.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Chris Hansen
10-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I can't comment on the HDR aspect as I'm out of my element with that. I'm with dave on moving the barn a little to the left. It seems a bit centered. Great lead in with the path and beautiful lighting.
chris

Arthur Morris
10-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Artie, Greetings. I would guess that there are quite a number of different interpretations using the full range of images... Seeing the dark original, I liked the Tetons in with the bluer cast to contrast with the orange sunlit region. I'm not sure what tone mapping can do for the sky (other than draw more attention to it, but since it isn't the subject...). Anyway, this might be headed toward OOTB but I combined your two images - tone mapped & dark original. Much of the top is from the darker original and the bottom from the tone-mapped one. Kept the blue cast for the barn roof. LAB mode curves and RGB curves, punch up the color and brightens the barn. oh, and a very slight Orton for grins. 79793 Cheers, -Michael-

Thanks for the repost Michael. It looks as if the JPEG gremlins got you as the color looks way duller than in the original post (but much better than the image in Pane #12 that was posted only to show how the clouds looked in the original capture). As I have said before here and elsewhere if the same person processes the same image every day for a week none of the images would be identical. There is lots of subjective stuff involved. That's what makes it so much fun. And of course, there are always different strokes for different folks. :)

Arthur Morris
10-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I can't comment on the HDR aspect as I'm out of my element with that. I'm with dave on moving the barn a little to the left. It seems a bit centered. Great lead in with the path and beautiful lighting.
chris

Hey Chris, Thanks for stopping by. I would argue strongly against moving the barn even one inch in real life to the left :) Why? Check out the rows of trees left and right of the barn.

More interesting stuff on the COMP as noted by Robert Amoruso above: when I arrived at the site there were a zillion folks there all waiting for the sun to hit the cabin. There was a camera low on a tripod but no photographer. I set up with my tripod well taller than hers and even when she came back to her camera I was easily able to work over her. Before she arrived I commented to the other that they should give my compliments to the missing photographer for choosing the best angle (as Robert noted above placing the cabin cleanly between the trees). I was glad however that she incorrectly chose to work so low; by doing do she surely had a merge between the roof and the distant Tetons. No way I was gonna point that out to her as then she would have been in the very best spot :) Final point: I am not a Landscape photographer but with probably 20 photographers in a line nobody had grabbed the very best position. The compositional principals are the same whether you are working with birds or cabins :)

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey Artie,
Sorry....late to the party as I am still in the Tetons but now I have internet! Motel 6! You did very well comp wise.....too many people clip the top of the Tetons with the barn roof.....not always a deal breaker but my preference is for w/o that. Looks like you had some unusual light......probably due to the smoke which I still had this am....but with nicer clouds:). I actually like the OP colors and look.....except for the brighter area Dave mentioned on the LH side mostly. Tweak that and this will work for me as presented. Maybe not the most real interpretation....but I find you went a nice direction with the OP HDR.

Arthur Morris
10-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey Artie, Sorry....late to the party as I am still in the Tetons but now I have internet! Motel 6! You did very well comp wise.....too many people clip the top of the Tetons with the barn roof.....not always a deal breaker but my preference is for w/o that. Looks like you had some unusual light......probably due to the smoke which I still had this am....but with nicer clouds:). I actually like the OP colors and look.....except for the brighter area Dave mentioned on the LH side mostly. Tweak that and this will work for me as presented. Maybe not the most real interpretation....but I find you went a nice direction with the OP HDR.

Thanks on all counts. Sorry that we never hooked up with you. The strip of light was actually light; the sun was shooting through a small opening in the clouds. And, catch this, I was on a tripod!

Arthur Morris
10-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks to Denise for letting me post this to illustrate my point about perspective (as seconded by Roman). I am the one in the brown pants and the blue sweatshirt--and the nice bald spot. Note that both trees peeking over the roof were hidden by my choice of position.... And my choice of tripod height. The latter kept the roof from merging with the peaks. A simple (but well done image) with so many lessons.

Arthur Morris
10-12-2010, 06:15 AM
To learn how I just about killed myself a few days later in this seemingly placid place, click here. (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2010/10/12/mormon-barn-cabins-and-disaster-averted/)

A_Maddah
10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi Arthur
Lovely shot.I like frist your post But I think sky a bit vapid.Michael post need a bit to the mach color too.
oh! I like you last post.
TFS

Asad

Scott Noakes
10-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi Arthur,
I opened up this thread and was surprised to see this shot, thats me on the far left in the tan coat! I believe you were also at the Oxbow the next day, I was shooting alongside the couple from the bay area, I believe her name was Vickie, you had mentioned that your name was Arthur. I wish I had put it all together at that time, would have really enjoyed meeting you. I have shot the above barn in about every way possible, I had hoped for a little better light that morning with the sunrise we had and debated whether or not to try and fight for a position where you were. The workshop of Britains there really were enjoying the sunrise, I remember watching the one lady keep going back and forth trying to 'decide what she wanted, the sunrise or the barn. I would love to see your shots from the oxbow the folowing day also if you don"t mind sharing.

Scott

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 12:33 PM
HI Scott,

re:

I opened up this thread and was surprised to see this shot, thats me on the far left in the tan coat!

Howdy.

I believe you were also at the Oxbow the next day, I was shooting alongside the couple from the bay area, I believe her name was Vickie, you had mentioned that your name was Arthur.

He was Salim. Nice couple. Hey, there was a guy right there, just one guy in fact, when I said, "Hi Salim" he said, Arthur right? Arthur Morris." The guy sort of laughed implying that there was no way I could be Arthur Morris. OK Soctt, come clean, was that you ? I am betting yes as there was nobody else around :)

I wish I had put it all together at that time, would have really enjoyed meeting you.

Ditto.

I have shot the above barn in about every way possible, I had hoped for a little better light that morning with the sunrise we had and debated whether or not to try and fight for a position where you were.

I was right behind and above a British lady but in Denise's image I believe that she had folded up shop.

The workshop of Britains there really were enjoying the sunrise, I remember watching the one lady keep going back and forth trying to 'decide what she wanted, the sunrise or the barn. I would love to see your shots from the oxbow the folowing day also if you don"t mind sharing.

I'll post one at some point but the water to the right was DIRTY.

Let's see some of yours!

Scott Noakes
10-15-2010, 12:43 PM
The guy sort of laughed implying that there was no way I could be Arthur Morris. OK Soctt, come clean, was that you ? I am betting yes as there was nobody else around :)

,I admit it it was me! I just assumed Salim was making a joke, I wish I would have questioned it! :) That was my last day of my trip, I had been on the road over 30 days, Glacier, Yellowstone and Teton. Shot over 8000 images and have just started sorting. I was camped at Gros Ventre, and as I was pulling out saw all the cars stopped at the intersection looking at the moose you talked about on your blog. I had to force myself not to stop because I needed to get home to Colorado that night. Atleast now I saw what I missed.
Its amazing how paths cross sometimes

Scott

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Turns out that you missed a lot :) I though that I had a pretty good read on your chuckle. Here's the best part: Salim had no clue how I was :) You gotta love it.

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 12:53 PM
PS: check out my blog post that details how I almost killed myself on that little bridge.

Scott Noakes
10-15-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm surprised you remembered me :) I read about your little accident, I must have left before that happened. I was shooting the barn the night before at around 11pm and while crossing that little cement **** slipped and stepped right in the water, wet shoes and and looking foolish, but happy I was the only one to see it. I'll post a few of my shots in the next couple days. No where near as nice as what I see here but I'm slowly learning.

Scott Noakes
10-15-2010, 01:08 PM
By the way I apologize if I have hijacked this thread

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
No sweat on the hijacking. Aside from honest critiques done gently (see above), I love the personal touches that appear in many threads--they really help develop the sense of community.

AJ Witt
10-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Artie, I am defeinitely not at a level to critique your image, but I would like to see this cropped or shot as a pano with a little sky...but that's just my two cents.

Nice image regardless!

Arthur Morris
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Arthur Lovely shot.I like frist your post But I think sky a bit vapid.Michael post need a bit to the mach color too. oh! I like you last post. TFS Asad

In defense of the sky I would say that it has a lot more interest than either a white sky or a clear blue sky :)

Eric Virkler
10-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Artie, Your fall gave me a chuckle and brought back some memories. My wife and I brought her parents to the Tetons a few years ago. While visiting the Mormon Barn just up the lane from this one, I attempted to jump over a small stream. The details have faded now, but I do remember trying to spin around as I fell so I could hold the camera up high and keep it out of the mud. Wet, thick, clayey mud. I would have had to buy a few dozen of your Lens Pens to get that clean. I was able to keep the camera clean and sacrificed the seat of my pants in the process. My wife drove me back to the motel while I reclined the passenger seat to horizontal and lay on my stomach to keep the car clean. Thanks for reminding me.

Eric

Faces of Nature Photography
www.ericjvirkler.com (http://www.ericjvirkler.com)

Arthur Morris
10-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Nice butt. That one is in a muddy spot.... And the folks who get there a bit late need to walk right in front of everyone else to get in position without going through the stream or the muck. All in all a sticky situation to say the least.

Scott Noakes
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Hey Artie,
I'm finally getting through my thousands of shots from my trip and came across this one from that morning on the Oxbow. Not sure if your in this one or not, but you have to be pretty close, thats Salim and his wife to the left. It really doesn't show how many people were there though.

Scott