PDA

View Full Version : Stilt

wendell westfall
10-05-2010, 08:18 PM
D90 70-200VR+2X@400 1/3200 f/7.1 ISO 500 -2/3 EV handheld

This is from last week, one of two stilts in a large pond with a half-dozen avocets. The pose is not unusual, but I liked it -- and, of course, the bird's pink legs. I tried to keep both blacks and whites within acceptable limits per my histogram. PPed in LR3. I'll appreciate all critique.

Wendell

PS: What do you think of those neat, black (untouched) toenails?

Alan Murphy
10-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I like the raised foot. I do wish for a lower shooting angle and some room for the virtual foot. I also find the head a bit soft. Love the toenails :-)

Bill Dix
10-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Nice one, Wendell. Exposure looks pretty good on my screen; maybe just a bit of lost detail in the blacks. Love the raised foot and toenails, and great HA. Ditto Alan re the shooting angle (not always possible) and head, and just a bit tight in the frame for my taste. Still, a nice shot. Wish I could get close to one of these guys.

John Guastella
10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Beautiful pose, Wendell, and the blue water is sweet. I know those ponds well, the reflections and color created by the late afternoon sun are quite nice.

But, IMHO, the image is unacceptably soft. I shoot Stilts a lot and they move quite fast while feeding. I think this one got away from you.

John Guastella

Marina Scarr
10-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Lovely bird and you did well with your exposure. Love the raised food and the gorgeous red eye. Would have liked to see this from a lower perspective with more room on the bottom and right. Head appears a bit soft to my eyes.

allanrube
10-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I like the raised foot - the "toenail" adds something different from the usual.

I think it is too tight in the frame. I also think it is too bright, but that might be my prejudice.

wendell westfall
10-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Alan, Bill, John, Marina, Allan: Thanks for your input -- tight in the frame and a bit soft. I took a look at all my previously saved pictures of stilts and found none of the them as soft as this one. And, I did not run NR on the bird either. So, I'm not sure what happened . . .