PDA

View Full Version : Cape Fox

peter delaney
10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
d3 200-400mm 1/640 f4 iso 1000

I always wanted to get an image of a cape fox, got lucky with this guy, he built his den right by the road , very obliging of him.. and he was relatively cooperative..

Ken Watkins
10-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I always wanted to get an image of a cape fox,

Me too, but no luck so far, where was this taken.

It looks similar to a Jackal, how do you tell the difference, colouration?

Nice image, whilst I have no idea the face looks a little dark to me.

Harshad Barve
10-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Have to agree with ken here , never the less on sweet image
TFS

Andrew Aveley
10-06-2010, 12:53 AM
colours and composition are superb. Maybe just light up slightly ?:D

Rachel Hollander
10-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Peter - congrats on getting the cape fox. Like the detail in the fur and the colors.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
10-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Like the position of the fox and the DOF. Very appealing. Will you have others to post as well, I don't know much about these fellows and it would be interesting to see more.

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Peter,

I would have like to see a lower view of this guy but if you are confined to a vehicle, that might not be possible. A very unique looking creature. I do agree the image is a bit dark overall.

Valerio Tarone
10-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi Ken
as I was In SA, only once
, in Namaqualand, i saw some cape fox, ..only quickly escaping! I know they're often killed by the cars.Like colors and compo, overall the squatting(?) position, nice to see.

Morkel Erasmus
10-07-2010, 12:56 AM
I haven't had much luck with them in the daytime...nice curled-up pose and soft light Peter...might tone down the blues?

Grant Atkinson
10-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Hi Peter, I like the symmetry of the ears, and the strong shape that they make with the muzzle. Also liked the deep colour in the eyes. For me you did a very good job with getting an image of an animal that is hard enough to see, let alone photograph.
Ken, as Peter hasnt answered your question yet, about differences with jackals, please excuse me for jumping in, the Cape foxes are much smaller. Also they have more uniform fur colour. Sometimes see them in the drier parts of Bots, western Okavango, also CKGR, but nearly always at night for me.
cheers
Grant

Steve Kaluski
10-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi Peter, to quote an old friend, 'a sweet capture'. ;)

I love the light & colouring, but personally I would have preferred a slightly lower POV, however you do have eye contact. A slight crop from the lhs and above might just remove the more central feel and by doing so you would have more room on the rhs which as a comp, I feel might work better. Also at this size Peter I'm not sure how sharp it is, but it could perhaps do with a bit more USM, however it does look a little soft?

TFS
Steve