PDA

View Full Version : Close, but no cigar!

Steve Maxson
10-05-2010, 02:43 PM
In the spring/summer when dragonfly nymphs emerge from their aquatic homes to molt into their adult form, things don't always go well. It is not that uncommon to find individuals with deformed wings, for example. In this instance, the adult (this is one of the Baskettails -Epitheca spp.) started to emerge (you can see part of its eyes and back) - but that's as far as it got. :( I had noticed this one emerging and after a couple days of no progress, I cut the grass stem and brought it indoors to photograph in order to eliminate wind and control the background. 40D, 180 mm f/3.5 macro, 1/200, f/16, ISO 100, tripod, Canon 580EX flash with micro Apollo diffuser. RAW file PP in CS3 - levels, curves, saturation. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Dave Mills
10-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Great job on this Steve! The image is sharp,diagonal stem, with a complimentary and muted backround.Best of all the image has alot of impact and interest!

Julie Kenward
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Amazing image - we never notice these kinds of anomolies when out in the field. What a unique looking specimen!

As Dave stated, you got some awesome clarity and detail and a lovely horizontal profile going on as well. Super colors as well! What's not to love...

Melissa Groo
10-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Wonderful job, Steve. It really is so much more interesting to have something on the diagonal, I'm learning! And such great sharpness you have there. I took some pics of dragonfly nymphs metamorphosing this summer too, maybe I'll post one in time. I always felt so sad for the deformed/stunted ones.

Allen Sparks
10-06-2010, 09:30 AM
wonderful clarity and detail and I like the diagonal too. I think you nailed this one.

Ken Childs
10-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Steve, this is awesome for all the reasons mentioned above and it tells a story which takes it up a notch. if there is such a thing as a notch above awesome! :D

I don't find many like this but every year I have failed Wandering Gliders in my horse water troughs. The stupid things will lay they eggs just about anywhere but the water troughs don't have anything for the nymphs to climb out of the water on so they end up drowning when they molt.