PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl

Jason G. Harrison
10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Spent a few days following this female around while she hunted. Some will not like the fence, etc...but that is part of the landscape these Owls hunt in anymore...and they utlize the posts for perches, etc...

Self critique...not ideal angle with light, but she flew in on me here...did not have a chance to move over. I also wish for more eye contact, but over all, I like the image. No baiting...though for full disclosure, I did remove a green pipe and a white object in the background.

D300, 600VR, f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/2500th, -.7EV compensation

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/0919_ps_01_L.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and as always C&C welcomed and encouraged.

Jason

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Jason, I dont mind artificial perches much. I like that this one has the same color as the owl. Loved the pose with spread wings and tail.

Richard Stern
10-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Jason,

I love the sharpness of the bird and the fence, and the contrast between the bird and the bg. I agree with you about the lighting and head angle, although it does look like the bird is concentrating on hitting the right spot, so that's OK. Would be even better if there were slight separation between the tip of the tail feathers and the barbed wire. The post and wire are part of the bird's environment, and I quite like them in the picture.

Richard

Ray Rozema
10-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Agree with Richard, the contrast between the bird and BG is a big plus. Exposure and detail looks very good. I don't mind the man made material that much, but wonder how it would look if you removed the wire and pipe and left just the post which matches well with the bird. Good eye contact and this would be tops.

Chantelle Voss
10-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow amazing photograph! I actually really love the artificial perch and the barbed wire fence.

Jim Fenton
10-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Don't mind the light, like to concentration with the extended tallons and I do like the contrast with the background.

To me, cloning out the top barbed wire might make a big difference on this one Jason....maybe even just the one on the top left?

I'd probably also rid myself of the diagonal wires which should go away easily, including on the post itself.