PDA

View Full Version : THE HERON WHO WANTED BE A DUCK

Hugo Estévez
10-05-2010, 03:04 AM
With this picture, I want to show you a strange behaviour I saw once. This young night heron swam as a duck to cross the pond. Really funny for an heron, isn´t it?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UXVCq6B9UpA/TKjeTzZ5WWI/AAAAAAAAAO8/svpClYPUopM/s1600/_MG_0776-2+copia.jpg

sorry for the signature

more pictures in: http://hugoestevez.blogspot.com/

subhrashis
10-05-2010, 05:15 AM
That's interesting, never seen anything like this!
I like the picture with it's lovely warm tones, good details and comp, good eye contact. The reflection is nice too!

You could remove the somewhat distracting whitish reflection , or take a bit off the top if you prefer.

Steve Zamek
10-05-2010, 09:50 AM
That certainly is interesting behavior. The smooth background colors here are quite nice. I think the image, overall, could be a bit brighter. There are a few faint spots above the bird which you might want to remove.

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Very interesting indeed. Light is great and I am fine with the exposure. The shooting angle is a little in-between I feel...a little low for reflection and little high for eye-level shot. If the reflection is not great, and if possible, for such shots I usually go down to the water level. But not sure if you have got the same BG...which is terrific here. Well done.

Chris van Rooyen
10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Fantastic light, and I love the hint of side-lighting. Agree with removing the spots

John Guastella
10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Lovely soft light. I agree with Steve about the spots and about making it a bit brighter, but works as is.

Just a few days ago I observed a Black-crowned Night Heron engaged in the same swimming behavior - I was wondering what kind of duck it was until I took out my binoculars and saw it was a heron. Very strange!

John

allanrube
10-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Can you possibly add a bit of canvas to the bottom? I like the colors and do not think it needs to be lightened if this was the condition when you saw the "duck." :p

Hugo Estévez
10-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Thanks for comments. I didn´t see the shots, "four eyes see better than two" :). I´m afraid it´s not possible to add more canvas to the bottom.

"But not sure if you have got the same BG...which is terrific here" I´m sorry but I don´t know the meaning of BG. Could you explain to me? Thanks

John Guastella
10-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Hugo, BG is an abbreviation for "Background".

You could add canvas to the bottom, but it probably would take some work to clone in the water so that it looked natural.

John