PDA

View Full Version : Black and White Giraffe

Ken Watkins
10-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Apparently this is a Masai Giraffe, taken in Sandani Game Reserve, Tanzania, 10th September.

As a result of the standard driver incompetance we never really got to a good position and it was moving at a reasonable pace.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand held from open game viewing vehicle

F5.0, ISO 800, 1/1600

Robert Amoruso
10-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Ken,

The tall trees next to the giraffe help to accentuate its height. To bad your driver was not more adept at getting you into a good position.

Thanks for posting.

Nancy Bell
10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Giraffes are such artistic looking animals I think one wants to take as many photos as possible to show all the different ways of seeing this creature. I like that you captured the moving legs. As for the game drivers, sometimes I just want to grab the steering wheel myself!

Sid Garige
10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice image Ken. As you mentioned light seems to be the issue. Hope you get another chance to shoot him in good light.

Ken Watkins
10-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the comments, I posted this mainly because of the oddity of the Giraffes colouring and I have been asked many times in the past to post a B & W:D

It is a fact of life that many drivers have absolutely no idea when it comes to positioning, I should have learned to live with it by now.

Luckily I know at least 5 driver/guides who know what they are doing, including my wife :)

Hilary Hann
10-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Interesting colouring Ken. It does appear that the Masai sub species of giraffe have a tendency to get really dark patches which makes them quite different. This one in particular seems to have little of the chestnut colour in him. Shame about the driver. :( Although in Sandani I imagine that they don't have an excess of avid photographers for the drivers to get practise with.

Ken Watkins
10-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Although in Sandani I imagine that they don't have an excess of avid photographers for the drivers to get practise with.
Your certainly not wrong there, I went there at the suggestion of Rolf Baldus (one of the founders). It will be far more interesting in 10 years.

Hilary Hann
10-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Ken, are you putting a report about the park here at all? I would find it most interesting as it is not a place I've heard much about.