PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Dragonfly

Allen Sparks
10-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Canon 40D, 300 f4 plus 1.4x TC
ISO 400, f11, 1/320s, EC -1/3, hand held

Julie Kenward
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
This is wonderful, Allen! You got everything but the very end of the leaf/wingtips and who cares about those because you can't stop looking at those eyes and that ratty old leaf! I really like it as presented but wonder if you tried any different camera angles as far as getting the leaf/df more on a diagonal or did you just prefer the level presentation? I like it...well done!

Any idea what's hanging out of his mouth/chin? Or do I even want to know? :o

Jay Sheinfield
10-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Hi Allen,

Nice image. Love the complimentary coloring between the BG, DF and leaf..............good exp. Very pleasing to look at, for a bug! :D

Allen Sparks
10-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi Julie, the dragonfly is eating some big gnat I beleive. And yes, I tried several different angles and this is the one I preferred. The leaf was naturally horizontal.

Ken Childs
10-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Allen, you found a pretty nice looking Dasher for this late in the season. Most around here are looking kind of ratty. This is nice and sharp where it needs to be and I think you really well with the DOF. Trying to squeeze out more probably wouldn't have allowed you to get this shot.

You might want to try and lighten up some of the dark areas in the BG. The 2 holes in the leaf where the wings show up are giving me problems. My eye keeps getting drawn to those spots but I'm not sure anything can be done about that. I think that blurring them just wouldn't look right and cloning them away would remove much of the late season feel that this shot has.

Overall it looks really nice! The perch is not the usual stick you see in most dragonfly shots and that makes this one special! :)

Steve Maxson
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Allen. The leaf has a lot of character and really sets the season for this image - I like it! Good sharpness, DOF, exposure, comp, and background (though I agree with Ken about lightening some of the dark areas). The fact that the dragonfly is enjoying a snack takes this one up a notch. Well done.

Dave Mills
10-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi Allen, not much more to add other than you handled the image very well...