Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/4"
F16
ISO:200
LR & CS3
Tripod

BG is a print of some blurred, yellowish grass. Shot indoors with natural window light. I cloned out a few blemishes and cropped a bit from each side to make it a vertical.

I brought the beautiful one indoors. For now she's living on a Sago Palm in my kitchen. :)

Steve Maxson
10-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Wow Ken - I think you hit this one out of the park! The soft light plus the sharpness and DOF around the head are outstanding. The diagonal comp and your background work well here. Did you increase the blue tones? I hope she likes her new home - and that we get to see more of her. :)

Ken Childs
10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Did you increase the blue tones? I hope she likes her new home - and that we get to see more of her. :)
That blue is her natural color.

She seems to be quite happy with the arrangement. I've never seen one of these that was so calm and easy going. I found a dying skipper and held it in front of her with some forceps and she didn't hesitate. Now it's an ex-skipper! :D

Allen Sparks
10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Wonderful shot Ken. Nice details and what a great close-up perspective. I think a background with more contrast with the insect would be something else to try but I like this as is.

Julie Kenward
10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Bawahahahahaha!!!

Ken, you totally cracked me up with this one. That title is priceless! Outstanding clarity and detail. Lovely angle. Inquisitive pose. What can I say?

Except Bawahahahaha.....

Ken Childs
10-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Jules, I'm glad you enjoyed the title. I was wondering how many people would get the reference. :D

Julie Kenward
10-04-2010, 06:34 PM
The first person I thought of was Carol Burnett. Do you remember that take off she did? Oh my gosh, talk about laughing!!!

kostas nianiopoulos
10-05-2010, 04:02 AM
I was looking a video about these guys and they are really killing machines for other bugs . A verry cute portrait love the BG well done Ken !!!

Jim Bridges
10-05-2010, 06:10 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Ken you got wonderful detail on the face of this beauty! Most of the ones I find are green unless they are hunting on dead brown plants then they are this color...they are my favorite bug to watch while they look for a meal.

Ken Childs
10-05-2010, 06:50 AM
The first person I thought of was Carol Burnett. Do you remember that take off she did? Oh my gosh, talk about laughing!!!
Yes I do. Nora Desmond was one of her better characters. There are some good clips on YouTube.

Dave Mills
10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi Ken, the thing about mantis' is they don't hunt...they wait::) Very nice closeup with great detail on a diagonal. Even lighting and a neutral backround...well handled!

Jeff Parker
10-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Love the diagonal composition and the expression! Looks like she's smiling.

Art Kornienko
10-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Love the diagonal angle, would have like to see the antenna in the shot.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Very nice approach! Love the clarity of this mantis and the clean BG. Very nice details on those legs!