PDA

View Full Version : FLY

Nick Palmieri
10-04-2010, 06:33 AM
I was experimenting yesterday with my old (rarely used) Canon 500D close-up filter. I used a step up ring from my Canon 100mm f/2.8 (58 to 72mm). Wasn't sure if it would work with this set-up...Is the DOF fall-off too much? ISO 200, f/13, SS 1/125, HH with ring flash. Opinions greatly appreciated.

John Chardine
10-04-2010, 06:53 AM
The combo seems to work very well Nick. You have really good sharpness here. I'm fine with the DoF because it emphasises the head and body. If you wanted more DoF could you have asked your flash to pump out more light and use a smaller aperture? Also, depending on the camera body, ISO 400 works as well as 200 for noise at least. I do see some course-grained noise in the wings (from sharpening?) and as they are OOF, you could mask them off before sharpening. I see some highlights in the face that look blown so you may want to tone these down in RAW development or after.

Ken Childs
10-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Nick, normally I'd say drop down a bit to get close to the same level as the fly but because of the fantastic green colored body, I think the angle you selected is perfect! It would have been nice if you'd had enough DOF to get those hairs on its back in focus but that doesn't kill the shot. Enough of it is sharp to keep my attention. There is some noise on the wings and BG that could use reducing and I think that maybe cropping the OOF area in the FG and balancing it with a bit off the top might help. John suggestions sound good, too. Just a little work can easily take this shot up a couple of notches on the 'fine photograph' scale. :)

Steve Maxson
10-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi Nick. This is a very colorful fly and you have good sharpness within your DOF. The things that struck me (noise in the wings and blown whites in the face) are already covered above. Next time you might try f/16 or f/22 to up your DOF a little. :)

Allen Sparks
10-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Nick, my thoughts have been covered above but still a very nice image. Nice sharpness where it needs to be and an interesting subject.

Nick Palmieri
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback, I was using my 7D and it is a noise magnet. Don't think my TIFF master has any blown whites but I agree that this version looks hot in the head area. Going to work on a few more versions with extension tubes, and try it with my 5DMKII, where I could crank the ISO up. I did run 1 or 2 rounds of Noise Ninja on the BG but nothing on the wings, guess since they are OOF some NN wouldn't hurt. Thanks Again!

kostas nianiopoulos
10-05-2010, 04:04 AM
verry nice , special the eyes and the heat are super . well done !!!

Dave Mills
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Nick, great your trying these types of images. Not easy but I feel you did a pretty good job on this. Agree on the noise and a few hot areas but otherwise well handled!

Roman Kurywczak
10-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey Nick,
Pretty cool.....but yes to more DOF and using the other body for less noise.