PDA

View Full Version : Underwing Moth

Andrew McLachlan
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM

My first time posting here in the macro forum. This underwing moth image was originally altered for posting in OOTB's camouflage theme. I thought I would post the unaltered version here.

Honestly cannot remember what I shot this with. It was either a Minolta X-700 or Nikon F80. I do know that I used a 100 or 105mm macro lens most likely with a 81A filter attached. I recently scanned the image on my Coolscan 5000. I am wondering if I should have applied a little more sharpening to the file.

Look forward to all comments.

Dave Mills
10-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Andrew, couldn't ask for a better example for the OOTB theme. Interesting nature image which shows the true sense of natures camo. I like the fact that you offset the moth but am thinking the image might be a bit oversharpened...

Andrew McLachlan
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for comments. I'll take a look at the sharpening when I return in a week or so from fall colour trip. Much appreciated.

Dave Mills
10-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Have a great trip Andrew..hope to see many nice landscapes...

Nick Palmieri
10-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Interesting composition. Tough subject to shoot...I think it may be over-sharpened as well. TFS

Ken Childs
10-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey Andrew, this is a good example of just how well Catocala moths can blend in on tree bark but when they fly, it's a whole different story! This summer I watched a few flying in the forest and their bright red and white or black and white patterns made it easy to find them, that is until they landed. Then they disappeared!

I agree that this looks over-sharpened. You probably took this to show how great their camo is. If that's the case, you should sharpen less than you would normally because you aren't really trying to show off the subject.

Steve Maxson
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM
What? There's a moth in this image? :) An excellent example of camouflage in nature, Andrew. I agree with the others about the sharpening. And, welcome to Macro - hope to see you here more often!

Andrew McLachlan
10-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks again to all for the comments. Ken thanks for the tip on under sharpening the camo shots - never thought of it that way. Good to know.