PDA

View Full Version : Sea Rose

Aidan Briggs
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I made this image in the shade at a local botanical garden yesterday. There was a little bit of wind and I was handholding so I had to raise my ISO a little more than I would have liked to attain the f-stop I wanted

The Sea Rose is a small shrub native to South Africa. It blooms from May to August so I was lucky that there were still some flowers on it.

50D, 60mm macro
1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 800
Fill flash at -2

Nick Palmieri
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Nice job. I like the angle and colors. I like the selective focus. I am trying to figure out if I would of liked the under leaf on the right to be slightly OOF as it may be competing with the center of the flower..that's just being over critical I think anyway...Like it as presented.

Aidan Briggs
10-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks Nick! I purposely composed this image so that the petal edge would be sharp. To my eye, it helps lead me to the center. Of course it is a subjective thing, and we all have different opinions.

Julie Kenward
10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Aidan, this is lovely. I would have liked to have seen the center just a hair higher from the LLC but love your use of selective focus here. It's a lovely image and that shock of yellow is nicely sharp and not oversaturated. You might try just a touch more contrast to pop the white/yellow a bit more and alleviate the middle gray from the BG but that's purely speculative...do what feels right to you!

Ken Childs
10-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Hey Adrian, this looks great as is but I agree with Jules that getting the center slightly closer to a ROT position would look good, too. I also think her suggestion of bumping up the contrast is a good one.

Steve Maxson
10-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi Aiden. Sweet colors - the sharp yellow stamens really pop against the soft pink of the petals. The first place my eye goes when I look at this image is the yellow of the stamens - but then it quickly pops up to the small dark V between petals at the top of the frame. You might consider either cloning this area or cropping a little off the top to remove it. :)

Aidan Briggs
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I agree a boost in contrast would improve the image.