View Full Version : Common newt

thijs broekkamp
10-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Sigma 150mm, tripod, wired remote

Iso 400
f6.3
1/13e

I thought that the white part on the right of the tree was a bit disturbing

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/thijsbroekkamp/_MG_5218bwrktsrgbfull.jpg

Aidan Briggs
10-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Nice exposure and subject. The BG complements the subject as well. I agree that the white strip is distracting. I might have experimented with different shooting angles to try to minimize the foreground a bit. As is it is a little overpowering.

Keep them coming!!

Steve Maxson
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi Thijs. Good sharpness and a nice background. Yes, the white is distracting - you might want to tone that down some. I would also suggest cropping from the bottom to reduce the visual impact of the OOF foreground. Another option might have been to use a higher f/stop (since you were using a tripod and if the newt cooperated) to get the legs and tree more in focus. :)

Dave Mills
10-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Thijs, agree with comments above and would have suggested a higher F stop for more DOF. Would have liked to have seen more of the legs in focus. Good you chose to put the subject on a diagonal but as stated the large oof area is distracting.
Nice use of lighting and backround...

Ken Childs
10-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Thijs, the newt and the BG look nice and clean. You already know the white area needs work and I agree with Steve that removing some of the OOF area in the FG would be a good idea. When in the field, I think taking a step to the left and using a smaller aperture might have resulted in a better shot. Newts are generally cooperative (dumb and slow :)) subjects so you may have been able to move it to a better location to remove some of the OOF area in the FG and without that white section. Just a few things to think about the next time you come across one of these little guys.

Allen Sparks
10-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I like the sharpness of the eye and skin texture captured. A little higher shooting position may also have worked but the one chosen gives an interesting perspective. Agree with the comments on a narrower aperture to increase DOF. The white area may be easily cloned over.