10-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50 at 45mm

2/1000"
f4.5
EC +.33
Aperture priority
ISO 400

A lot of ground cropped off the left and more leaves cropped off the right. I lowered the exposure a little, especially the bright spot on the ground.

What else can be done with this????

thanks!

Ken Childs
10-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi Cheryl, crab spiders make great subjects for macro, especially since they usually hold still for awhile. :)

As far as what to do with this as it is, I'd try to clone out the green and dark spot near the top and the green left of the spider. Increasing the saturation might look good, too. I'd like a much tighter crop to get a better look at the spider and to get it closer to a ROT position but since you've already cropped a bunch, I think that would lose too much quality. I think that you might have got a better look if you'd taken a step to the left and gone in as tight as possible, concentrating on just the spider.

Dave Mills
10-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Cheryl, great advice by Ken! The way I would look at the image is do I want to accentuate the spider or make the spider part of the scene secondary to the flower. In this case the flower is dominant with the spider as a point of interest.
The blurred foreground is very strong and somewhat distracting. It's also good to leave some room in front of the flower..

Cheryl Flory
10-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks Dave and Ken! I appreciate the advice. I also just now noticed the brown stick (?) at the bottom center. that should go also.

OvidiuCavasdan
10-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Agree with comments above. I would like it tighter and somehow avoiding the oof petal. I like the BG, some work as suggested would make it even better. Spider is sharp and I like the details on petals.

Steve Maxson
10-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi Cheryl. Nice sharpness and DOF, considering this was shot at f/4.5. I agree that the blurred petal in the foreground is distracting and I, too, would suggest cloning that dark green spot touching the top petal. You might consider toning down all the brighter portions of the background to make the flower stand out more. In an ideal world, I think I would prefer a tighter crop focusing on the spider and the yellow stamens, but I think you would quickly run out of pixels. :)