PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Eyed Penguin

Sidharth Kodikal
10-02-2010, 09:28 PM
This image was taken in South Island, NZ in November last year.
We had been told that the Yellow Eyed Penguin is extremely shy and that we should never let it see us. We thus waited far away from the beach, hoping to get a glimpse of one.
Guess it was our lucky day. Close to sunset, this guy swam ashore, walked up the beach, up the hill, right up to where we were hiding. This is a full frame shot! I removed the TC, fired a few more shots and quietly excused myself although his behavior indicated that he was perfectly at ease.
This is an endangered and one of the rarest penguin species from what I have read; didn't want to take any chances.

We also saw Royal Albatrosses that evening. A very memorable day to say the least.

Canon 50D, 300 2.8 + 2x
600mm, 1/125, f5.6, iso 640, -1/3 ev. HH

Wish for a slight more head turn, but I'm happy to have this one.
C & C appreciated.

Andrew Merwin
10-02-2010, 10:17 PM
I like this image a lot. The penguin's colors are beautiful & the texture is almost palpable. I think the exposure is right on & it is wonderfully sharp & detailed. It's a beautiful image. I am totally happy with the HA. Congratulations on seeing this penguin & being able to make a lovely image of it.

Craig Brelsford
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
You ought to be happy to have this one. It'd be a good shot of a common species. The rareness of the bird and the lengths you went to to photograph it make the shot doubly special.

Bhushan Dalvi
10-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Sidharth, this is a really nice shot of this rare bird.Love the colors and the details. A slight turn of the neck would have made it awesome.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words.
I normally am not a big fan of tight crops, but after looking at this one more time, I feel like it could lose a good inch + from the top. But then I often struggle with that stuff; your input will be appreciated.

Randy Stout
10-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Sidharth:

Great job on such a rare fellow.
Well exposed, sharp, subtle.
I could see a very slight crop above, but just a bit, since that is the direction of gaze.

Congrats!

Art Kornienko
10-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Yes congrats too, I would be very happy with this one. Nice sharpness with a 2xTC. Light looks very nice and great exposure. Maybe a better head turn would have put the beak in better focus. Thanks for posting.

Daniel Cadieux
10-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Your heart must have been pounding big-time!!

I'm liking the comp as is Sidharth. I'm also liking the subdued lighting and muted colours. Considering the situation and rarity of the species the HA is OK, but since it went out of its way to meet you guys face-to-face the least it could have done is also turn its head a bit more!:D

Stu Bowie
10-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Congrats on getting your shots of a rare sighting. I like the soft light, detail, and pose, and overall, good job with the exposure.

Doug Brown
10-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Head angle issues aside, this is an excellent portrait of a rare bird. What more could you ask for? I would crop a bit off the top. I'm assuming the horizontal line in the LLC is one of the wings; if not, I'd consider removing it.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-03-2010, 02:29 PM
... but since it went out of its way to meet you guys face-to-face the least it could have done is also turn its head a bit more!:D

It was one of rare days where my wishes were being granted. I would have wished for a better HA if I wasn't as clueless about it those days :)
I do have other frames with better HA fortunately that I will process soon.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm assuming the horizontal line in the LLC is one of the wings; if not, I'd consider removing it.

Thanks Doug. Yes, the horizontal line is one of the wings. After removing the TC, I did get a few frames with the wings outstretched.

Marina Scarr
10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Pleasing BG, right on EXP and what a gorgeous creature. Agree with a little more off the top of this particular one. HA works fine for me here b/c you really have a clear view of all the bird's features. Big congrats on seeing and photographing this species!

Marina

Arthur Morris
10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I absolutely love this bird and the soft light. I wish only for a better head angle.