PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Marmoset

Nancy Bell
10-02-2010, 08:49 PM
I am not sure how to correctly photograph critters in humid, rainy, dark forests :confused:. I photographed this tiny (fits in the palm of your hand!) tufted marmoset in the Atlantic Rainforest of southern Brazil. I cannot seem to find the right combination of either camera technique and/or PS technique to make photos like this pop. Grain also bothers me in the dark tones, but histogram looks good and any more to the right pushes the details out of the whites. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Here are my camera details.
Canon 7D, Canon 400 f4 DO IS, tripod, ISO 640, 1/125, f4.5, exp. comp. +1/3, flash with exp. comp. -1.

Ken Watkins
10-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Nancy,

This looks pretty good to me as is the long branch is a nuisance but taken it out cleanly may be difficult. I sense that you would like a little more pop,

I tried my oldest plug-in Velvia Vision and this seems to provide a reasonable solution ( I did not use the warm colours option just contrast and intensity) at least on the downloaded image, I also added a tiny amount of Smart Sharpen 100 at 0.1, but it probably did not need it.

Marina Scarr
10-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi Nancy:

I love this little creature. Never heard of it until your post. I think Ken's repost works as far as making it pop just a little more. I very much like the tree, the wayi the creature is clutching it, and the way it is staring at you. This capture really works to show off the animal and its environment. I think you were absolutely successful with this difficult photograph.

Nancy Bell
10-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Thank you Ken & Marina. The repost does add a bit more pop. These were the first marmosets I have ever seen and I could barely keep myself from jumping up and down with excitement :D !! They were so inquisitive. They would look at you, scamper up the tree and then peek at you again! And they are so, so tiny. Just an amazing experience.