PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Berries

Julie Kenward
10-02-2010, 07:51 PM
For three years now I've tried to take a decent photograph of these silly berries! I finally managed to get one that I like with both sets of berries in the ROT's position, with the front ones in focus and the back ones gently OOF. I used Viveza to darken the back leaf on the right and the front leaf on the left so the eye would be drawn to the front right corner. I also toned down the bright spots somewhat using the soft brush set at 20% and using a red that was close by.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8mm
f4.5 @ 1/30th, ISO 400
Pattern metering, spotty sunlight/shade, no fill flash (it totally blows the sheen on these berries)
Processed using ACR, CS4 & Viveza

John Chardine
10-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey Jules- I know what you mean about berries like these- they are my nemesis too! I like the juxtaposition of the two bunches here with selective focus used to bring your attention to the forward bunch. Too bad about that extra berry behind but something could be done about that! Lovely colours too.

Cheryl Flory
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Jules, I too have tried photoing these berries. I really like your dof, and you even have a nice reflection in the front berries! very cool. Cool enough to crop in tighter to showcase those front berries.

Julie Kenward
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks, Cheryl...I would crop in tighter but I have the berries in the ROT's position and rather like them there. I can certainly see your point, though! Thanks for getting me to take a second look. :2eyes2:

Bob Decker
10-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Hey Jules, great image. If this is something close-by that you can give another shot you might think about reversing the focus vs OOF. There are a number of leading lines in the image bringing the eye right to the back bunch of berries. Good application of ROT and wonderful image as presented.