PDA

View Full Version : Ready to give up

Muriel Bell
03-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Canon 30D 400 ISO 400 mm at f 8 l/000. I have tried different crops, tried to change color of milky blue water - all to no avail. This image seems to me to look stuck onto the page - which is how it looks in the original. Have taken the liberty of posting the original with minor corrections and medium crop rather than my last attempt. Would very much like to know what to do next other than to give up.
Muriel Bell

john crookes
03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Not sure where the focus was but looks a little towards the back wing.

I used a little levels and a hue sat along with some selective sharpening and got this in about a minute.

play with it and I am sure you can get better

Harold Davis
03-11-2008, 04:26 PM
dont give up muriel!! this will be a great learning experience when you get it like you want it. nice job, john. i think you can still add a touch more contrast to the water and make it look even better.

Oscar Zangroniz
03-11-2008, 05:49 PM
In my humble opinion, I think you did very good in capturing excellent details of the bird.
Regards,

Alfred Forns
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Agree with Oscar on the capture These birds are very difficult to capture looking good Most of the time they just look dark and featureless!!!

To make this image its best just needs to be optimized John did bring out more out of it but I think even more can be done !!! Anyone want to try? Oh and I would crop a bit to make it more rectangular It will enhance the motion !!!

Dave Phillips
03-11-2008, 08:32 PM
......but I think even more can be done !!! Anyone want to try?...........
I'll try.
Like this shot and it's a nice position on the pelican.
First I did a white balance that somewhat killed the blue in the water and separated the pelican.
Darkened the wing underside, brought up yellow.orange in bill/face and selectively sharpened a bit more. Don't ever give up, familiarity with your editing tools will come with time.

Hope Al and you approve
http://i27.tinypic.com/f9mdmt.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
03-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Muriel,
I cropped, toned down the white on neck, selected out the water, adjusted levels on black slider, adjusted color on blue, reselected the bird, middle slider on levels down a hair and a final saturation. Ask questions at the club and I will be glad to give you answers,
Roman
PS of course with original....... we can do more!

Alfred Forns
03-11-2008, 10:56 PM
This is interesting

Dave got some improvements at the expense of blocking the shadows in the wing

Roman go the water looking really good and didn't do bad in the bird either

I think from here the only other thing to do is maybe applying a filter from Nik Software like Color Efex Pro Tends to round out the images
Will see if there are any more suggestions and try it in the morning

Muriel this bird is looking good !!!!!!

Alfred Forns
03-12-2008, 06:41 AM
This is what I came up with

Used Noise Ninja, levels to set white/black point, slight curves, selected water and darken, selected white in water lighten, selected yellow on pelican and increased saturation and sharpened

Gus Cobos
03-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey Muriel,
You did a very nice job in capturing this fellow in flight. The details on the feathers are great!
Don't give up... PRACTICE MAKES BETTER...:D

Congrats,

Gus Cobos...:cool:

Muriel Bell
03-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all suggestions. Very helpful. Am encouraged and will go back to work on image.
Muriel