Melissa Groo
10-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Canon 5d Mark II
Canon EF 24-105mm at 24mm
ISO 100
1/30 sec
f/9.5
Handheld

First time posting here. Took this in Gros Morne N.P., Newfoundland, a few weeks ago. Upped exposure and sharpened in CS4. Worked on colors and brightness a bit in Viveza. Eager to hear what I could do to improve it. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Dave Mills
10-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Meliss, First off welcome to the forum. Your first post is a nice one.
I did a repost in order to give you some ideas. First I selected the sky area and applied Shad/hghlts to bring out more detail in the clouds. Any very white areas I filled in with detail(not many).
Finally I cropped some of the left because I felt that side was a bit to dominant. I liked the interest but I wanted it to lead the viewer out rather than share equally with the other ares of the comp. I then cropped a small bit off the top for balance. I also might take out the small dark rock on the right since it's clipped and I feel the image is stronger without it. Nice job!!

Melissa Groo
10-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Really nice improvement, Dave, thanks so very much!

Cheryl Flory
10-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for explaining what you did, Dave. I found it helpful too. I think I might darken the brightest part of the yellow ground also. Or was it actually that bright at the time, Melissa? Very eye catching view! Thanks for posting, Melissa

Melissa Groo
10-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Thank you, Cheryl! I will try that, now that you say that, it looks a tad too bright to me too.

Robert Amoruso
10-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Melissa,

Thanks for posting and welcome. I like the bright yellow. It is that contrast between the gray rock and the bright seaweed that makes this image appealing. Well done composition. I like the look of coming around the corner and have this scene unfold in front of me.

Dave is right on with the tweaks and especially the sky, as the washed out look was hurting this wonderful image.

"Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to seeing more of your images. And if you have not done so, please lend a hand and tell our other forum participants what you think about their work. We are all here to learn and the more the merrier. Thanks for helping out.:cool:"

Hilary Hann
10-07-2010, 03:09 AM
I really like the heavy texture and the curve of the rock framing the image on the left and I also love the colours of the yellow seawood … really lifts the landscape. Very nice.

Jeff Dyck
10-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I really like this shot - there is a great symmetry and balance to this image that appeals to me --> the blue sky mirroring the golden seaweed, the light clouds mirroring the dark water and the unusual shape of the upper and lower parts of the rock balancing each other. A wonderful mix of textures going on here - this would probably also make a very interesting black & white image.

Melissa Groo
10-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Thank you all for the great feedback!

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey Melissa,
Sorry....late to the party as I am still in the Tetons but now I have internet! I feel Dave nailed it on the repost. I don't mind the brighter seaweed as it balances nicely with the sky colors. Very nice job composing this one with a very good eye on this find!

Melissa Groo
10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks Roman!