Melissa Groo
10-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Canon 5d Mark II
Canon 100mm macro
ISO 100
1/20 sec
f/5.6
Gitzo tripod; no flash

Hi all. First post here. A grass pink orchid I took (in the field a couple months ago in central New York) at different focus points, and then merged in Helicon Focus.

Would really appreciate any comments/critiques.

Julie Kenward
10-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Hey Melissa, welcome to the Macro forum! Lovely first post...nice merge on Helicon - it looks very clean and sharp. I like the color scheme and the exposure here is beautiful. My one negative is that we can't see the center of the flower. A slightly different angle (little higher) probably would have given us a bit more of that center "dot" and that would have made your composition even stronger.

You've got a lot of good things going on here...just watch for what you leave in and what you leave out. ;)

Steve Maxson
10-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi Melissa and welcome to Macro. This is a striking first post and I think Jules nailed the critique. I'm impressed by the results of your focus stacking. The sharpness, DOF, colors, light, and background are all first rate, but I, too, wish we could see a bit more of center part of the flower. Overall, very well done.

Melissa Groo
10-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks Steve and Julie! Great point on the center part, I will have to reposition myself better next time! Appreciate your feedback and look forward to sharing in this forum.

Dave Mills
10-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi Melissa, Good job in stacking and having the subject sharp throughout. The lighting and backround are both handled well.
I might suggest when you shoot something like this you put the stem a on a diagonal rather than straight up and down. Compositionally it is generally more appealing...

Kaushik Balakumar
10-03-2010, 04:17 AM
Beautiful ! Excellent sharpness and details with neat BG.
What I liked most in this image is the symmetry - very beautifully done.

Melissa Groo
10-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks Dave. Do you mean somehow setting up the flower so that's more diagonally positioned? Or do you mean just tilting the camera?

Ken Childs
10-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Melissa, for reasons already mentioned, this is a very nice first post to the Macro forum!
I think Dave means tilt the camera but if this is cropped, you might have enough canvas to do it during editing.

Melissa Groo
10-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately it's not a crop but of course doing it during editing would be an option in the future. Thanks for pointing that out, Ken.

Dave Mills
10-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Melissa, I generally tilt the camera to put the subject on a diagonal. I suggest on similar subjects you shootit both ways and see what you like best...

kostas nianiopoulos
10-03-2010, 12:21 PM
nice one well done , colour and bg are super to me !!!

Jeff Parker
10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree with Julie. Very nice, excellent sharpness, but a smidge higher position would show the center better.