View Full Version : Cloudless Sulphur

Allen Sparks
10-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Canon 40D, 300 f4 plus Tamron Pro 1.4x TC, monopod
ISO 400, f14, 1/250s, natural light

Jay Sheinfield
10-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Hi Allen,

I like it. Great colors. Looks sharp everywhere you want it to be. Like the angle of the BF looking into the URC on a diagonal from the flower. If you have the canvass, you might consider including a bit of the flowers stem just to anchor the comp, but that's just my personal taste. Also, tone down the brighter area in the BG ULC, which might pop the wings even more, again my tastes only! :) The shadow on the backside flower doesn't bother me, but you could open it up if you wanted a more even lighting appearance. Nice image!

Jay

Ken Childs
10-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Hey Allen, this is a good looking Cloudless in a very familiar looking setting. I guess you found someone else with Zinnias. :)

I think that if those 2 lighter areas of the BG, top of the wing and back edge of wing, were toned down it would keep them from being distracting. It would be relatively easy to select the wing, inverse the selection and then lightly clone over those areas. I'd also consider taking a small slice off the left so the back edge of the wing is the same distance from the edge of the frame as the top of the wing is. A small contrast boost might add a little pop and a bit more brightness and sharpening to the eye would look good, IMHO. Overall, a beautiful butterfly nicely captured! :cheers:

Dave Mills
10-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Hi Allen, Nothing to add to comments above but overall I feel you did a nice job with this....

Steve Maxson
10-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Allen. You captured a nice pose with beautiful colors and sharp in all the right places. My minor suggestions have already been noted above - maybe add just a little room at the bottom to include the stem and to tone down the bright area in the ULC. Well done.

Julie Kenward
10-02-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree with what's already been said but I'd also look at selectively sharpening the eye just a tiny bit more.

Paul Lagasi
10-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Also agree with above comments..these butterflies are hard to get, they never seem to stop moving..Well done