PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles scene

Kerry Perkins
10-01-2010, 09:43 PM
This is from the Toy District on the east side of downtown Los Angeles. There are many buildings covered with street art, which is distinguished from graffiti by the facts that it is done by true artists and with the permission of the property owners. While I was shooting the much more colorful examples on the street-facing sides of the buildings I found this scene in an alley.

50D, EF28-135mm @ 28mm
Manual mode, f/8@1/500 ISO 400 WB 5100K
One-shot autofocus, hand-held no flash

Dave Mills
10-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi Kerry, interesting subject matter with the building and path bringing you through the image. I like your framing of the comp and the even lighting.
Maybe just a bit of brightening on the building(not much) to bring it up...otherwise well handled...

Robert Amoruso
10-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi Kerry, Nice to see you here.

When I see all that detail and the lines defining the bricks, I think Local Contrast Enhancement. In the repost I did LCE on a BG copy USM at 30/50/0. I then did Shadow/Highlight adjustment, amped up midtone contast and opened up the shadows.

I am not as enamored with the path as Dave is. I cropped most of it out (would prefer none at all). I feel all the interest is in the forward part of the building. If possible, I would have move left and gotten a better angle on the details of the painting.

Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to seeing more of your images. And if you have not done so, please lend a hand and tell our other forum participants what you think about their work. We are all here to learn and the more the merrier. Thanks for helping out.
file:///C:/Users/WILDSC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.pngfile:///C:/Users/WILDSC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.png

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey Kerry,
Sorry....late to the party as I am still in the Tetons but now I have internet! I think you have recieved excellent advice above.....and could go either way with the path. I do think you could try a pseudo HDR.....to tame the sky......and that may make the path more pleasing. Nice job composing this with very strong lines.