PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Forest

Andrew McLachlan
10-01-2010, 09:15 PM

Last year I wanted to photograph the old growth forests in Temagami, Ontario. These forests are amazing - white pines almost 4 feet wide at the base. I thought about how I wanted to document these forests to help convey their age. I decided to go to this region in September when cool nights and surrounding lakes would create lots of mist. This image was captured on a cool, cloudless morning before sunrise - hence the blue cast. I think the blue cast helps this image. For me, the mist and the white pine that is towering over the surrounding forest creates an ancient forest feeling. Perhaps even prehistoric.

Nikon D200
80-400 VR lens @ 116mm
f16 @ 0.5 sec.
Tripod and ballhead
Mirror-lock-up
bubble level in hotshoe
no filters

Look forward to comments.

Cheryl Flory
10-02-2010, 07:40 AM
I like how you included the one tall tree, and the mist. I too love the early pre-dawn blue mist, but here it is not such a strong cyan tint to it. What can I say, I am a fan of woods. Do you have any images with a wider view, and perhaps the tall tree out of the center?

Andrew McLachlan
10-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for comments. I will try to post another view of this forest - a wider view, but no mist and know white pines towering above the main forest. I forget to mention in the original post that this was shot from a lookout high above the forest - hence the slight aerial look to it. Thanks again.

Dave Mills
10-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Andrew, Interesting image where you creatively made one tree stand out among the rest to create a center of interest.
For my taste I would have preferred the tree offset and maybe showing a bit less of the forest.
The color of the image while pleasing is a bit unatural IMO...

Rob Miner
10-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Andrew, I am trying to visualize this as an ancient forest. The numerous new trees seems to hide the fact - I think the above critiques have merit - offset the tree or trees that you want to have emphasis and increase the fog/mist level.

Rob...............

Andrew McLachlan
10-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks Dave and Rob for additional comments. I was forced to place the white pine in the center for this comp as the surrounding forest had become sunlit and distracting. I haven't really played around with removing the blue cast, but perhaps will and see what the effect is. Yes, the smaller spruce and aspen trees tend to hide the old growth aspect of this forest. I perhaps should have explained it a little better - the Temagami area is known for its old growth white and red pine trees.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey Andrew,
Agree with the cyan cast......could adjust it in color balance or selective color. Correcting that will help strengthen the image and take it up another notch.