PDA

View Full Version : Juvy gull flying

Desmond Chan
10-01-2010, 02:45 PM
It's been a while and so, here goes:

105f2.8 + D700 hand-held. ISO 800 f7.1 1/2000s. Manual exposure mode (as usual).

Cropped top and left.

This image should answer the question "Which image you post and why?" :)

Thank you for looking !!

John Chardine
10-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi Desmond- Beautifully sharp image. I like the feeling of motion in the image with the gull's head turned in the direction it's flying. You used an f-stop and shutter speed to stop action completely and obtain sharp focus from stem to stern- very nice. To give the image more impact I would suggest a tighter crop so that the bird jumps out at you more. Nicely done though.

Julie Kenward
10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I totally agree with John's critique, Desmond - it's almost three dimensional the way you captured the bird against the water - it fairly pops right off the BG. Only other thing I see is the small shadow on the right wing near the body. You might be able to lessen that a bit with a shadow/highlight adjustment, taking this image up even further than it already is. Lovely work!

Desmond Chan
10-04-2010, 02:38 AM
Thank you, John and Julie !

That shadow area is my concern, too, but thought it wasn't that bad :o

William Malacarne
10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Desmond

I really like how this jumps out, nice and sharp with good detail. I had looked at this several times and I never even noticed the shadow, but now that is is noticed it is a little distracting.

Bill

Desmond Chan
10-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I had looked at this several times and I never even noticed the shadow, but now that is is noticed it is a little distracting.

:o:(