PDA

View Full Version : Resting bear

Steve Kaluski
10-01-2010, 09:55 AM
I have always had a fascination with bears and the Polar bear was great, but to be six feet away from a 1000lbs+ Grizzly male walking towards you was something else, but not this guy, he was to busy catching 40 winks and working off his meals. The obsession for food in the form of protein was extraordinarily, purely to build up the fat reserves for the winter. Not a great one as the light was harsh, just liked the relaxed pose.

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/2000 f/5.6 ISO400 (HH, minor slight crop on side) Alaska

Gary Hamilton
10-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I really like the composition. It works well with his head angle. And those claws really stand out, reminding the viewer to let sleeping bears sleep.

Rachel Hollander
10-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Steve - I agree that it is a great pose and highlights the impressive claws. I like the comp and detail. Is the bear sitting on a slope or in a hole? It appears to be sloping downward to the right a little.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-01-2010, 11:35 AM
He was on an incline Rachel.

Grace Scalzo
10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I actually really like the light here, Steve. If it was harsh, you handled it well as the image looks rich and warm. Only thing that distracted me a little were the strong brown elements in the background which if lightened a bit might not compete with the bear. I like the sleepy pose and details, especially those grizzley claws.

Rachel Hollander
10-01-2010, 11:38 AM
He was on an incline Rachel.

Thanks.

Ken Watkins
10-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Steve,

It looks like he as had a recent visit to the pedicurist.:)
Light is OK by me, dark banding in BG does not bother me either.Look forward to more from your trip.

Paul Taylor
10-02-2010, 01:19 AM
As you said yourself, although the light doesn't look that harsh anymore. Great expression (or maybe that is how bears generally look?) and I love the claws. Seems to be giving himself a gentle, absentminded scratch.

Steve Kaluski
10-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks guys and yes Ken, there will no doubt be more to follow, at some point. :D Very, very close encounters compared to Polar bears!!!!

Grace, the bears frequent the inlets and rivers and the 'dark brown' is where the soil has been exposed by the erosion of the river. To move avoiding this would not give me the angle for the bear and there was water flowing about four feet away to my left. I could easily 'clone' it out, but then I would not be true to the image or myself and lightening the area is not something I would consider either. However, I do see your point and it is good to raise your thoughts & views as that is the point of a Forum. ;)

Steve

Loong-Tat Wong
10-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Steve
Love the pose and the expression on the bear's face.

Marina Scarr
10-02-2010, 04:47 PM
The light does look a bit harsh but it works here. The bear really stands out, as do his toenails. Your subject is nice and sharp and the way he is lying on his paws and the look on his face really works.

Stu Bowie
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Hey Steve, good eye contact ( although maybe a lazy eyeball LOL ) I like the low perspective, the bear is sharp with good detail.

Grace Scalzo
10-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Steve, Having just complete a bear trip myself, I know what you mean. I'm not suggesting that you move for this shot, nor did I mention anything about cloning. I personally would just have addressed the dark banding in the bg A LITTLE in PS so as to not have it compete so much with the browns of the bear. That's all. I'm not into cloning out stuff that belongs in the picture either!