Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/640"
F16
ISO:200
LR & CS3
Tripod
Canon 430EX w/bounce card: On, Fired

This 6-legged Harvestman has been hanging around on my moth sheet for 3 days so I decided it must want its picture taken. :)

Cropped, cloned away some spots of dirt and various debris. Toned down some flash highlights with a soft brush and color selected from nearby areas. Black BG is due to the use of flash and a fast SS.

Jim Bridges
10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I would be perfectly satisfied with this result.:) I think this is the first look at one of these guys this close that I can remember and I'm awed by the detail you achieved.

Jay Sheinfield
10-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Ken,

I just keep coming back to this shot.........I would edit my comments as follows:

Holy "six-legged freaks", Batman......This is way cool! Positioned wonderfully in the frame. The roundness of the beast appearing to suspend from his/her (how do you tell?) legs is so interesting. What a great macro shot. I would consider sacrificing the left furthest leg that crosses the other to get rid of the "x" pattern. Also would have wished for a bit more DOF as I'm wanting to see more detail, but great as is. The black BG pops it "off the planet"!......great job on isolation. Overall, a knockout view into this creature. Two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way Up! :D

Sorry for re-editing, just one more thing to consider....the right-most leg is pointing up into the right hand corner of the frame, which tends to draw attention to the frame dimensions, may be a slight reposition in the frame, but leave the body in the ROT position. Small stuff..........:).

Dave Mills
10-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi Ken, fascinating image! I never saw one of these that close up. The lighting and detail are excellent with the black backround popping the subject. The offset positioning in the frame is well handled.
Since you were using a tripod I might have tried shooting this in F22 or higher if your lense went to F32 to get a bit more depth. I like Jay's idea about eliminating the left furthest leg however you have a winner with this...

Paul Lagasi
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Ken..this is a very nice image, the details and sharpness you've gotten on such a small body, unreal....agree about the left leg, but you image your vision..

Steve Maxson
10-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Ken. I wish I could see more of its long legs - just kidding!!! This is a very cool perspective - you're getting into MP-E territory with this one. :) I like the suspended globe look as well as all the detail you captured within your DOF. The lighting with the black background is very effective here. Nice off-center comp. I don't mind the legs, as presented, but I'm wondering why we see only two on the right side of the frame - was it missing legs or are they perfectly lined up with the one in front? Very well done.

Kaushik Balakumar
10-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Excellent details in this finely exposed image. First time I'm seeing it this close and from the bottom angle.

Cheryl Flory
10-01-2010, 05:03 PM
agree with all the above positive comments! especially appreciate the angle!
what is a "moth sheet"??

Bob Miller
10-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Ken....Wonderful shot! Love it as presented! A truly unique image! I am even ok with the dof as everything is sharp that needs to be sharp! :D :cheers:

Ken Childs
10-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

Jay, this guy was already missing 2 legs and you want me to crop off another one! :D Actually I see your point so I'll have to give it a try and see what it looks like.
Dave, my camera loses a lot of sharpness at small apertures. This is a result of trying to squeeze too many pixels into a small sensor so I have to decide whether I want DOF or sharpness, depending on the subject. It's all a balancing act.

Cheryl, occasionally I'll setup a white sheet at night with black lights shining on it to attract moths. I collect records for my home county to submit to http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org and you must have a definitive photo for a valid record. The pics aren't necessarily good but all I'm trying to do is to get shots that are good enough. Here are some of the shots from this year. http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202010 Moths can be tough to ID so I have lots more shots not on that page. You also gets lots of other night creatures showing up. Last night I had 2 Mantis Flies!

Allen Sparks
10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Wow Ken! what a freaky looking creature and a wonderful shot - I've never seen one this close. I like it as is - really pops and the detail is great.

Julie Kenward
10-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Awesome photograph, Ken...really awesome! Love the position in the frame and the detail you got. I can't find anything negative to say...it's just gorgeous. (Did I just say that about a spider image? Nah...) :D

Ken Childs
10-03-2010, 01:52 PM
it's just gorgeous. (Did I just say that about a spider image? Nah...) :D
It's not a spider so you're safe. You wouldn't want to ruin your reputation! :D

Roman Kurywczak
10-11-2010, 12:12 PM
so that's what they look like really close up!!! Very cool Ken and very well done!