PDA

View Full Version : Hibiscus Petal

kostas nianiopoulos
10-01-2010, 02:44 AM
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1814/hibiscuspetal.jpg

levels, crop about 5%, patch tool to clean up some dirt .

canon 50d , f16 , 1/124 , iso 400 , EF USM IS 100MM MACRO L .

thanks for watching .

Jay Sheinfield
10-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey Kostas,

I like the idea. Though it"s a bit stark for me. Try toning down the whites and lightening the right third of the leaf and see what that does. Shadow/Highlight tool in PS, if you have that, should help do the trick. I would want those reds to pop. For me, working with red on white can be a metering challenge, I generally take a few exposures, stopped higher and lower just in case. What kind of light did you take this in? Comp wise, my taste would be to have more red and less white, maybe to the point of cropping to the right of the LLC shadows, whick takes my eye away from the cool radiating pattern of the leaf. See what the others have to say.................

Dave Mills
10-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Kostas, good idea and nice subject.
The light is a bit harsh with the shadow in the lower left not really helping the image.
The inclusion of the shaded area is taking away from the strength of the upper area.
Another idea might be to shoot the subject more on a diagonal in softer light. I like the play of red and white...

Steve Maxson
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Kostas. Some good comments above. I like Jay's suggestion of having more of one color than the other. As presented, the image is approximately 1/2 white and 1/2 red. Maybe a 1/3 - 2/3 ratio would work better. I also like Dave's idea to have the main petal at more of a diagonal - perhaps originating more out of a corner than from the side of the frame. :)

Kaushik Balakumar
10-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Nice abstract this one. Might include some room in the bottom to make the edge of the petal pass the LLC. Just a thought - not so sure if this would work.

Ken Childs
10-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey Kostas, I don't have a problem with the color ratio but I do agree that this might look better if the veins were radiating at more of an angle from a corner. Probably from the LR would look good. I would also like to see brighter reds.

This is a quick edit to give you an idea of what I'm thinking of. You probably have more canvas to work with than I did and can come up with something much much better than this. :)

kostas nianiopoulos
10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
thank u all , special Ken for the repost !! :)