PDA

View Full Version : Big Bad Wolf Makes Good

Andrew Merwin
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I found this article very interesting. You may also. I would appreciate others' thoughts on this article.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/09/29-4

Dave Blinder
10-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks very much for sharing Andrew. Tough to imagine anyone but politicians and those with money winning in a battle like this... the farming industry never seems to lose.

Nancy Bell
10-04-2010, 08:57 AM
This is the very best article I have read on this subject! The writing is superb and the author presented a balanced overview of the contentious situation and excellent comparisions to similar issues that force people to bump right up to environmental issues. His point that environmental ignorance will cost us our health, both as individuals and as a planet is a way to hopefully reach everyone and teach them that these issues should not be decided by corporations or even ranchers with short-term goals and bottom-line focus. Andrew, thanks for posting this link.

Andrew Merwin
10-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks Nancy & Dave. A friend who is a MD made the following comment:
"I enjoyed the article as it reminded me how intricate and complex are our ecosystems. The importance of each element of the system to its overall optimal function. It has a parallel to medicine in that if we alter "minor element" of the body's homeostatic regulatory system huge adverse consequences inevitably occur. It was intriguing to see the importance of the wolf to the overall function of the Yellowstone ecosystem."

Chantelle Voss
10-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Great article! I love examples like this that illustrate the delicate balance of nature. The wolves represent a key component of a delicate symbiotic network in which organisms co-evolve and adapt based on the each others' presence. Thanks for sharing!

Ed Grella
10-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Great article!