PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Falls

Andrew McLachlan
09-30-2010, 08:42 PM

Here is a springtime image of Hilton Falls along Ontario's Niagara Escarpment which is now a World Biosphere. This waterfall usually dries up by late summer depending on amount of rainfall. I positioned myself in the river with camera about a foot or so above the water. I deliberately placed the cascade in the center of the composition. I liked the way the gorge walls lead toward the cascade and I pointed the lens downward to include as much of the shallow river as possible in the foreground. Once I found this composition I waited about half an hour for a cloud to come along to cast even lighting over the scene.

Nikon D200
12-24mm lens at 14mm
f22 @ 0.3 sec.
ISO 100
Bubble Level in HotShoe
Mirror Lock-up
Nikon Polarizer
Tripod and ballhead

Dave Mills
09-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Andrew, Your work and patience paid off. I knew it was a low angle before reading your statement and find it most effective. In this situation the centered falls works for me along with the even lighting(worth the wait)
Your SS created a soft look to the water but it also has detail which I consider important. Very well executed!!

John Platt
10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Great perspective, it makes the shot. The centered falls are nice, with the soft water and the clarity of the rocks in the foreground leading the eye right up the falls. Nice job.

Chantelle Voss
10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Excellent shot! The water has great movement, and because of the composition the movement of the water draws your eyes through the image very nicely. Great job!

Andrew McLachlan
10-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks to all for your kind words.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey Andrew,
Very well done! I might open up the shadows on the RH rocks a touch......but nice job minimizing the sky and great job overall!