PDA

View Full Version : Compact Flash cards.

Susan Griffith
03-11-2008, 11:52 AM
HI all,

I was just wondering if the speed rating on compact flash cards really matter. I seee some listed at 133x and others at 266x.. some higher some lower. Does this number apply to write speed? read speed? or both?

I am thinking about buying a few more CF cards and am trying to figure out which cards with what speeds will work best.

I am also curious as to whether or not there is a huge difference in the different lexar series and and the transcend CF cards.

-Susan

Alfred Forns
03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Susan the best way is to check out RobGalbraith He has tested just about all cards and cameras

It all depends on the camera that you will be using Just a few days ago there was a rebate form B&H for Sandisk 16GIG cards The price came out to $99.00 Amazing btw they were for the eTreme 111

For Canon you don't want to use the Lexar Cards They seem to give more trouble Sandisk work well Nikon does well with Lexars 1!!

Bob Ettinger
03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Here is the information Al spoke about. More information then you probalby want or need but still valuable

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Susan Griffith
03-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks,

I am still figuring out the digital photography stuff :D... still getting my non film kit together.

-Susan

Roger Clark
03-11-2008, 10:23 PM
For Canon you don't want to use the Lexar Cards They seem to give more trouble Sandisk work well Nikon does well with Lexars 1!!

Why avoid Lexar in Canon cameras? I have a couple of dozen CF cards, ranging from
sandisk, kingston and lexar. Most of my cards are 133x 4GB Lexar, which I've
used in numerous harsh environments, from dusty Africa to hot humid
tropics, to high altitude mountains. I have had two partial failures in about 8 years
(I was still able to read the data off). Neither failure was lexar. Cameras: 10D, 30D,
1D Mark II.

Here are my tests on card speeds in a 1D Mark II:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/compact_flash_card_speed

Roger Clark

Susan Griffith
03-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Currently I am using a 5D with 1 4g Lexar 133x professional and 1 8g transcend 266x. On newegg.com the price has dropped on the 8g transcend 266x to $99. There have only been a couple of occasions where i have filled both cards, so I figured it is time to get a couple more cards in anticipation of spring, summer, and fall photo opportunities.

I was reading last night that Cannon cameras do not support Lexar acceleration but that Nikon and a few other cameras do. Still ferreting out information before this next purchase.

Thanks for the link to the card comparisons.

-Susan

Robert O'Toole
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Why avoid Lexar in Canon cameras? I have a couple of dozen CF cards, ranging from
sandisk, kingston and lexar. Most of my cards are 133x 4GB Lexar, which I've
used in numerous harsh environments, from dusty Africa to hot humid
tropics, to high altitude mountains. I have had two partial failures in about 8 years
(I was still able to read the data off). Neither failure was lexar. Cameras: 10D, 30D,
1D Mark II.

Here are my tests on card speeds in a 1D Mark II:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/compact_flash_card_speed

Roger Clark

Hi Roger,

Over the years Canon has issued a couple of warnings about using lexar. There were problems with the 1DSMKIIN with images "disappearing" and it was in fact a Lexar only phenom, according to Canon.

I consider the company that backs the cards as important as the card itself. I will personally never use lexar for this reason. In the past I had Pro Lexar cards fail full of images, completely fail, dead. Inserting them in a camera would crash the camera! Sent them into Lexar and they sent back a used card, no images, no sorry, nothing.
Last year I submerged a Sandisk in salt water and expectedly it became corrupted (all images were rescued). Sandisk sent me a prepaid fedex label, didnt even require a store recipet and sent me a brand new retail packaged card.
I wish all companies operated like Sandisk :)

I have read reports your site more than a few times over the years by the way. Very imformative.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Why avoid Lexar in Canon cameras?
Roger Clark

Found the Canon information lexar link (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=10598&keycode=2112&id=25575)

Roger Clark
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
> I have read reports your site more than a few times over the years by the way. Very imformative.

Thank you very much, Robert.

> Found the Canon information lexar link (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=215&modelid=10598&keycode=2112&id=25575)

Ah, yes, I remember that problem now. Fortunately, none of my cards were affected.
I thought it was handled reasonably well. There was a web site as, I remember, where
you could check your serial numbers to see if they were affected. I can understand what a
shock it must have been to those it happened to.

Roger