PDA

View Full Version : Semipalmated Plover juvenile

Bill Dix
09-30-2010, 09:22 AM
From Biddeford Pool, ME, several weeks ago. Cropped to remove rippled reflection, removed second catchlight and a pebble in the water. I have other frames with a bit of head-turn, but personally liked the straight profile of this one. C&C appreciated.

D90 | 80-400 VR @ 340mm | ISO 400 | 1/2000s @ f/7.1 | 0EV | HH

Marina Scarr
09-30-2010, 09:35 AM
You did a great job with this capture. The BG and light is beautiful, and I do think the pose works well. Your EXP is also right on the money.

I notice there are some highlights on the legs of the reflection. I would remove those, since I think you removed them from the leg or I wouldn't see them on the reflection. I also see one more small one on the leg I may consider removing down on the "ankle."

You did a great job getting low here, and your hard work paid off.

Marina

Steve Zamek
09-30-2010, 12:11 PM
This is a lovely portrait of a sweet little bird. I'm amazed by the very clean background, as I've only seen these birds wallowing in mud. I might have preferred one of the others with a bit of head turn, but still love this as is.

Bill Dix
09-30-2010, 01:19 PM
You did a great job with this capture. The BG and light is beautiful, and I do think the pose works well. Your EXP is also right on the money.

I notice there are some highlights on the legs of the reflection. I would remove those, since I think you removed them from the leg or I wouldn't see them on the reflection. I also see one more small one on the leg I may consider removing down on the "ankle."

You did a great job getting low here, and your hard work paid off.

Marina

Sharp eyes, Marina. I missed those highlights. Thanks for pointing them out; they will be excised. I appreciate the comments.

Grace Scalzo
09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Nice and colorful, Bill....I really like the slight ripples in the water, they add a sense of motion to the image. Well exposed too.

Daniel Cadieux
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I like the blues of the water, and the thin film of it surrounding the feet. With the body slightly angled away from us I would have prefered the head angle a bit more towards us. There is an OOF area directly underneath the tail that I would love to see smoothed out. Nicely exposed, and very sharp as posted.