PDA

View Full Version : Early morning at the rivers edge

Cheryl Flory
09-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Canon 40D
70-200 lens at 200 (Probably with 1.4 tc)
1/500"
F4.5
ISO 400
aperture priority
EC -1.67
tripod

I am not sure if this is considered "Landscape". If it isn't, please let me know where I should post it. I am trying to learn landscapes, and find it more challenging that I anticipated. lol

this was taken around sunrise. I had the EC turned down so much so not to get blinkies from the rocks and if those white tails would go up. So in ACR I had to up the exposure .45 for the center of the image, and added contrast and some saturation. I used a lower level of sharpening than I usually use, and used it mostly on the deer only. This image is nearly full size, but I think it would have helped to have more room on the left side. I think the heron is too bright, perhaps I could have fixed that somehow in ACR when I raised the exposure?? Perhaps too much brightening and sharpening? The image seems more "harsh" than it "felt" at the time I took it.

The purpose for taking this image was to show the early morning mood/atmosphere and environment at the edge of the river and the woods, trying to relate to the viewer why I love this time of day at this spot. (probably all my landscape images are from this area. :) )

Well, where do I go from here???

Thanks!
Cheryl

Dave Mills
09-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Cheryl,Your PP is handled pretty well. I agree the heron is just a bit bright(not much)
A few things I might have done. First I would crop the image from the bottom to the first rock above the reflection. This will give the image a stronger base.
I would have tried to position myself where the far tree wasn't directly lined up with the deers head.
I feel you gave enough room on the left since thats the direction the subjects are going. The diagonal line the animals are on is interesting.
Finally,another way of handling this scene would have been to concentrate more on the 3 foreground subjects and not try and show all the environment

Dave Blinder
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Cheryl, I like the exposure and mood on this. Especially love the 3rd background deer. I also wish the tree wasn't above the deer's head. Overall, I think you handled the scene very well.

JB Ellis
09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
I love the mood of the image you achieved with the exposure and time of day. Great that one of the deer is looking directly at you and the great blue is a real plus. The tree above the deer does not bother me much because there is separation between the base of the tree and the deer head.

Andrew McLachlan
09-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Cheryl,

It is always nice to see wildlife composed within landscape photos. I agree with Dave's initial critique. I think the tree above the deer's head looks like it could be removed without too much trouble. Very nice that the deer allowed you to approach so closely. They must be accustomed to people at this location? I really like the warm soft light on the deer.

John Platt
10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I really like the overall mood and exposure. The serenity and sense of time stopping is great.

Cheryl Flory
10-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Thank you all, for your comments. I really appreciate your help.

Gary Hamilton
10-07-2010, 05:56 PM
To answer your question "Where do I go from here?" I'd say keep going back to this location! Deer and heron mingling together in early morning light--keep working this area.

Cheryl Flory
10-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks, Gary. I go to this spot as often as possible. It is only 40 minutes from home. However, this is the first time I was able to get an image of such a crowded time at the river. :)

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I am glad I found this Cheryl. Very interesting mixed of wildlife and habitat. I agree with the two main comments on the heron brightness and the tree above the deer's head. My preference and if possible would have been to move to avoid the tree/deer head interaction.

Thanks for posting this and looking forward to more. And as far as where to go, please frequent this forum and look at the many excellent images our participants post here and what is said about them. And please lend us you thoughts as well.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey Cheryl,
Sorry....late to the party as I am still in the Tetons but now I have internet! As mentioned above the mood is great and I agree with Dave's assesments. You are really giving yourself a difficult situation w/ all those HA's! I see you were maxed on on focal length.....so take this......take a few steps forward.....take another one.....move.....etc., etc. If you could have gotten this w/o the rear deer.....or facing us......this would be even stronger. Just something to keep in mind for in the field next time out!