PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly B&W

Gary Jones
09-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Taken in a nature conservancy called Cumberland, near Pietermaritsburg, in KZN, South Africa.

Canon 40D, Canon 100-400mm lens, at 400mm, f9 and 1/1000. ISO 400. Hand held.

Steve Maxson
09-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Gary. This image has some good things going for it - a nice pose, good sharpness and DOF, and a clean background. In terms of comp, the flower cluster is clipped by the LRC - IMO, the comp would be stronger if we could see the right edge of the cluster or (and this is my preferred option) if you cropped about half the distance between the right frame edge and the butterfly's wing - followed by a crop from the left for balance. :) I have to admit I'm not a big fan of B&W - I can't help but think the image would have more impact in color - but that's just me and I expect others will disagree. :)

Dave Mills
09-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi Gary, agree with Steve on cropping a bit off the left and on the rt for balance. I feel you did a good positioning the subject with all important parts being sharp.
I like B&W images and this one is no exception. Steve did have a point that this would probably have more impact in color..

Ken Childs
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Gary, you've captured a great pose here! I also think you should crop some from both sides. I'd be curious to see the uncropped version because there may be other options available including some CW rotation. It's hard for me to gauge because I don't do all that much with B&W but I get the impression that the light was a bit harsh. Maybe someday you can post a color edit because I just can't help but think this would look better in color, at least for my tastes. :)

Kaushik Balakumar
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Lovely portrait. Nice choice to have gone B&W on this (its unique). Excellent sharpness and details.

Gary Jones
10-01-2010, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the Feedback. I thought B&W would work here - light subject on a darker BG. My first time really playing with B&W.

I must admit, I battled with the crop and played a bit.

Here's the original - just converted from RAW. Please feel free to play with it and let me know your view.

Thanks

Steve Maxson
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi Gary. Nothing wrong with B&W, but based on my previous comments, it should come as no surprise that I prefer the color version. :) I think the tighter of the two crops I suggested would look great here.

Bob Miller
10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
HI gary ...i really like the color version with alot cropped from the RHS. The delicate blues of the flowers echo the blues of the butterfly nicely and form a kind of triangle that organizes the image.

Ken Childs
10-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey Gary, it's too bad the butterfly didn't land on the right side of the flower but that would make it too easy!!:D
I played around with this for a few minutes and tried different crops and rotations. Possibly my favorite had all the stuff on left cloned/cropped away and then rotated what was left about 90 degrees CW. Like Steve, I prefer the color version but I can see why you decided to try a B&W version since the butterfly is mostly B&W.

Gary Jones
10-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the help - much appreciated!!!