PDA

View Full Version : Information to include with image

Anita Bower
09-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Perhaps I'm out of line writing this, and if so, please let me know.

This is a request that those of us posting images for critique include sufficient information to enable informed critiques. In particular, I notice we aren't including information about our post processing, which leaves me wondering what was done in camera and what in PP.

Below are the relevant guidelines provided in a message from James Shade at the top of this forum

Help Us, Help You!
Posting an image for critique is an excellent way to rapidly improve any photographers ability to create beautiful images. You can help those offering image critiques by listing details of the capture process.

Listed below are some of the details to include in your post that will help you receive the best critique possible.

Thought Process
Were you creating a Portrait?
An Environmental Image etc.
What obstacles did you face in creating your image?
If an animal, what species? Was your subject captive? Did you attract your subject or subjects into photographic range with food, water, audio, or any other means?
Was your image significantly altered by adding or removing elements of the composition post shutter?
Time of day, weather conditions etc.

Capture
Camera Type and Model
Lens Focal Length and Model
ISO, Metering Mode, Exposure Mode
Exposure Compensation (if used)
Shutter Speed, Aperture
Focus Mode
Tripod, Tripod Head
Flash, Flash Settings

Post Processing
Crop
USM
Levels/Curves
Noise Reduction
Cloning or other modification
You don't need to list all of the above(it would be the most helpful) but list as much as you can and any other factors that had an affect on the final image.

Ken Childs
09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Anita, you're not out of line. Friendly reminders are good things. :)

I keep all of my basic equipment settings in a text document and then copy and paste what is relevant. Not only does this make it easier for me because I suck at typing but it reminds me what info needs to be included. Post processing is another story and I'm guilty of some of what Anita brings up here.

One thing not mentioned here that I think is really important is listing what software was used in editing. I mainly use Photoshop CS3 and if I know you're using a similar version of Photoshop, I can give you specific editing suggestions if needed. If I know that you're using an editing program that I'm not familiar with, my suggestions can be a bit more general.

Steve Maxson
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
This is a good reminder, Anita. I, too, have been guilty of some of this - especially on the post-processing end of things. Lets all try to do a little better job of informing folks how these great images were made. :)

Julie Brown
10-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Anita, I totally agree with the points you brought up. When the EXIF data and post-processing is listed, it benefits us all. There have been some very helpful tips and suggestions offered in many of the image critiques that I have found to be instrumental in learning how to get the most out of my software.:)