PDA

View Full Version : Waterlily

Dave Mills
09-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I shot this at Longwood Gardens earlier this year.
Nikon D300,200mm macro,twin lights,F/22,1/60,0 comp,tripod mtd

Steve Maxson
09-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Dave. Lovely colors to go with excellent sharpness and DOF. Very effective use of the dark background and I like how the yellows in the center of the flower seem to glow. Well done.

kostas nianiopoulos
09-29-2010, 12:21 PM
really good the dark BG gives a special mood , well done !!

Julie Kenward
09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Dave, lovely flower! I have two small suggestions. I'd look at taking a small slice off the bottom to get the center of the flower down lower in the frame and then I'would clone out the two discolored petals that run along the outside of the flower (11 o'clock and 3'oclock positions). Exposure, aperture, ss all look excellent!

Bob Miller
09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
This is just Gorgeous! I love the colors and composition. I also like the green leaves in the foreground. I am not sure about discolored petals..there is something to be said for including a little imperfection. ;)

Ken Childs
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Dave, this is a beauty! Colors, exposure, DOF all look great! I agree with Jules that the center of the flower needs to be lower and I also agree that those 2 petals are a bit distracting but I don't think I'd clone them out. Try grabbing the color from one of the good petals and lightly brushing over them with a soft brush at a low opacity. IMO, you don't need to make them as dark as the other petals to keep them from being distracting. A couple of simple tweaks will easily take this up a notch or 2. :)

Dave Mills
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Appreciate the comments...will take another look at it...

Jay Sheinfield
09-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi Dave,

This is some great flash work, can't discern any flash shadow or remnants.........very natural looking, very soft lighting and evenly lit. Did you use a diffuser? where both flashes ring mounted? I may have to break down and get a pair.

Dave Mills
09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi Jay, Yes, both flashes were ring mounted with no diffuser. I use a 200 macro which means I generally don't have to be on top of the subject. I believe this was shot in the shade and there was ink in the water which always makes for a dark backround...

Andrew McLachlan
09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Dave,

Very nice! Great colors and DOF. Agree with the others to lower it a little in the composition. Well done!