PDA

View Full Version : YCNH juvi

Bill Dix
09-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Plum Island, last week. This youngster was trying to take a nap in a tree right above the Marsh Trail boardwalk, but every photographer that came by woke him up. I'm told he stayed in this spot all day long. Lighting was very difficult when I got there in late afternoon -- dark and backlit. Thus the high ISO and fill flash, plus the kind use of my wife's head to steady the lens. Couldn't do anything about the steep capture angle since I couldn't move off the narrow boardwalk. Also couldn't decide if I liked the full-frame shot (see next pane) or this crop that showed more detail. Some noise on the bird from the ISO but didn't attempt NR on this one.

D90 | 80-400 VR @ 230mm | ISO 1250 | 1/200s @ f/7.1 | 0EV | pop-up flash @ 1/16 strength.

Bill Dix
09-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Here's the same shot with the whole bird, at about 90% of full frame. I like the detail of the crop; my wife likes the whole bird. Any comments appreciated.

Julie Kenward
09-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Bill, I prefer the OP because the bottom post's BG seems to get pretty distracting to me. The elements that are included in the lower post feel rather blotchy so I prefer the close up. That said, it's a pretty steep angle but it's got some nice eye contact and that head is super sharp. Tell your wife she makes a good tripod. :)

Lance Peters
09-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi Bill - Just personal tastes - Id go with the whole bird - IMHO the tighter crop tends to exaggerate the steep shooting angle - where the full bird shot tends to make it not look as steep in comparison.
Not much you could do to improve this - think you did the best you could with what was available.
We have similar species here and they tend to spend much of their time high up in the trees also.

Mark Young
10-01-2010, 02:53 AM
Hi Bill, I prefer the details in the OP to the FF image.