Image Size 5184x3456
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation +1/3

Dave Mills
09-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi Don, nice job on this! I like the toad's placement along with a beautifully muted backround. Good use of the flash with a nice base the toad is sitting on.
The colors on the subject are interesting including the orange tips on his appendages. If this were mine I would take out the small glare areas under his eye...

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Dave, is this what you had in mind, thks don

Mike Moats
09-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey Don, very nice colors working together, like the pose and perch, good details and BG.

Dave Mills
09-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi Don, perfect!

Julie Kenward
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Lovely image, Don...where did you find this one?

I like the reduction in glare that you did - I'd take the time and do it everywhere. There's something about flash highlights that bothers me when the subject is supposed to be in natural surroundings. This has got so much going for it that I'd take the time and tone them all down.

OvidiuCavasdan
09-29-2010, 03:08 AM
Nice pose, sharp and good details. I like the green tones all around and orange pops. Repost even better!

Ken Childs
09-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Don, it's a Fire Belly Toad, Bombina orientalis. When working in the import business, I saw many thousands of these things. They're native to Korea and China.

This image has a lot going for it! All that's needed now to take this to the top is to follow Jules' advice and clone over the remaining flash highlights. :)

Cheryl Flory
09-29-2010, 07:30 AM
I too think this is a great image of the amphibian, and I really like the moss. But for me, personally, the additional green in the background makes the image as a whole a bit overwhelmingly green.

kostas nianiopoulos
09-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Nice pose sharp good details, great image well done

Steve Maxson
09-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Another good one, Don! Excellent sharpness and DOF, as well as a nice pose, good comp, and a clean background. Was this a captive toad? Please clarify in your initial comments if this was the case. :) I like what you have done in your repost and here is another vote for Jules' suggestion to carefully clone out more of the flash-generated spectral highlights. If this was mine, I would also be tempted to move the flash-generated catchlight to a higher position in the eye - just some tweaks to make the image even stronger. :)

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Thks all, yes captive toad... he capitavited me anyway!!!!! :p I'm off to brazil, hopefully to bring back some different critters...:2eyes2:

Steve Maxson
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Thks all, yes captive toad... he capitavited me anyway!!!!! :p I'm off to brazil, hopefully to bring back some different critters...:2eyes2:
Hi Don. Thanks for the followup. Have a great trip to Brazil!

Don Lacy
09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Hey Don, Love the colors, only suggestion would be to crop a little from the bottom and from the right to lessen the dominance of the moss in the frame right now for me it over powers the Toad the crop also has the added benefit of placing the ye at the rule of thirds in the frame.

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Thks don, i'll give it try when i can. Thks for your comments!
Don

Julie Brown
10-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Don,

This is an interesting toad and I like the perch and the color on the underside. When I saw your EXIF data I wondered why you set the flash compensation on +1/3 (I am a novice with flash-that is why I'm asking). Since Dave and Jules mentioned the flash glare, would setting flash compensation at -1/3 help you avoid the "flashed" look?:confused:

Lookin forward to seeing what you bring back from Brazil!

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey Don,
Still in the Tetons so a little late to the party! Finallly have internet!!! Great advice above and following Jules tips will only make it stronger! Have a great trip!!!