09-28-2010, 12:29 PM
nikon d3

85mm
.6 sec @f/43

iso 200

Comments welcome.................

Dave Mills
09-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi Jeff, I like the feel of the image along with the flow emanating from the center. The image appears to be sharp where it needs to be but might wish for a bit more room on the bottom and left side.
I notice that when the image is shown with a black backround more detail is visible...

Ken Childs
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Jay, the colors around the center of the flower are really cool! The focus of the image is that center and that's nice and sharp but it needs more space on the left and the bottom to get it closer to a ROT position. Depending on how much canvas you have, adding some on the right or maybe a slight CCW rotation or maybe both would get the stamen pointing more towards the URC, which I think would look nice. The dark blue is perhaps a bit too dark so I think bringing it up just a little would be good and would keep me from wondering if I'm missing anything. :)

I'd love more details about this shot. What are we looking at and what lighting is involved?

Steve Maxson
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
A beautiful mix of colors, Jay, and good sharpness on the center of the flower. I tend to like subjects, or focal points, in one of the corners sometimes - and I like this as presented. A ROT placement, as suggested by Dave and Ken, would also look great. Well done.

Jay Sheinfield
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. The story on this photo.........morning glory under a trellis early morning, available skylight. I didn't like this photo until I fooled around with it...........it's a mood shot. Darkened and softened. As much as I love the morning glory blue, I also like it darkened in this shot, again for the mood of it. I chose the corner because I loved the light blue glow against the dark blue tapestry-like pedals. It was that deep blue that did it for me, and wanted to fill the frame with it. I might try adding some canvass and see if that preserves the mood.
Jay

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Jay, i echo the same as above, really cool,some minor tweaks, and you have a very cool pic. Nicely done.!
don

Mike Moats
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey Jay, I think the comp works well. Like the positioning in the frame. Nice details.

kostas nianiopoulos
09-29-2010, 09:10 AM
i like the the sad blue colours , nice image well done

Anita Bower
09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I notice that when the image is shown with a black backround more detail is visible...
How did you view it on a black BG? I copied it to PS to do so. And, I agree, the colors pop more!

Anita Bower
09-29-2010, 11:40 AM
I love the the colors, lines and light radiating from the center of this flower. Fabulous! I also like how the green separates the stamen from the rest of the flower. I love the dark tones. Seen against a black BG, the colors pop even more. I wouldn't change a thing. Great image!

Dave Mills
09-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Anita, I put it in PS to see how it looks with a black backround. The white backround very often fools the eye.
Before I feel an image is finished I put a black backround on it and I'm amazed sometimes what I didn't see....

Jay Sheinfield
09-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi Anita, I put it in PS to see how it looks with a black backround. The white backround very often fools the eye.
Before I feel an image is finished I put a black backround on it and I'm amazed sometimes what I didn't see....

Hi Dave,

I feel stupid,,,,,but what do yo mean putting it in a black background? Did you mean a black frame around the image? Jay

Bob Miller
09-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Love the blues.....more canvas on the left and bottom would be my only suggestion!

Anita Bower
09-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi Dave,

I feel stupid,,,,,but what do yo mean putting it in a black background? Did you mean a black frame around the image? Jay
Not just a black frame, but have the entire area surrounding the image be black instead of light grey BG usually used in PS and on this forum. I do this in PS by hitting the "F: button twice.

Dave Mills
09-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Jay, Anita has it right. The F button in PS will give you 2 different screens. The 2nd click will give you the black screen. Amazing what you will see in some images.....

Gary Hamilton
10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Agree with others re: cropping. Otherwise, it is a stunning, moody and almost brooding image. Frame it and hang it. Very nicely done. Cheers.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey Jay,
Still in the Tetons so a little late to the party! I think a corner comp works sometimes too.....as it does in this case! I do agree with lightening just a touch on the darks.....but will check it on the black BG later. Very nicely done!