PDA

View Full Version : Flower Fly

Steve Maxson
09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
This small Flower Fly (family Syrphidae) was foraging on a Black-eyed Susan flower. 40D, MP-E 65 mm, 1/80, f/10, ISO 400, MT-24 twin lites (diffused), hand held. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Dave Mills
09-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi Steve, I love the sharpness and detail within the image. Good job HH,backround and the eye level angle. I can see why shooting these with a tripod can be an problem. By the time you set up the subject could be gone.
Debating whether the soft wing is an issue but decided that the balance of the image's strength overpowers it...

OvidiuCavasdan
09-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Cool details and eye, perfect BG, I'm ok with the oof wing, would have been nice without the yellow oof in the middle bottom of the frame but this is a minor thing. Very nice image.

Ian Cassell
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
These syrphids are such beautiful subjects and Dave is right -- they're gone before you know it.

I like this one. The composition is right and I like the purple and green.

Ken Childs
09-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Another great one, Steve! Ovidiu hit on the only thing I noticed that could be considered a problem but really the rest of the image is so strong it's easy to overlook that. The pollen on the end of the proboscis really takes this one up a lot! The OOF wing doesn't bother me at all.

It's funny how big the head looks when compared to the side view of the abdomen. :)

Mike Moats
09-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Hey Steve, fantastic shot. love the details, I would clone out the yellow blog in the bottom of the frame near the center.

Paul Lagasi
09-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Definately agree with all the above comments, "A great one"...sharpness, Dof, colors..pollen where do I stop...nicely done Agre with blob removal

Steve Maxson
09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Here is a repost without the offending yellow blob. :) It's always good to have some extra sets of eyes reviewing one's images!

Julie Kenward
09-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Lovely repost, Steve! I also think it's amazing how big his head looks in the side view. Great detail where it needs to be...the one wing doesn't bother me at all.

Jay Sheinfield
09-29-2010, 04:18 AM
what a great shot... Colors, detail and comp. Just super..................

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Hey Steve.....repost is another home run! You've made my life a bit easier now that you aren't eligible for IOTW!