PDA

View Full Version : My spanking new website!

Morkel Erasmus
09-28-2010, 03:37 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this so here goes!

I am launching my new official website today, and would love your feedback as valued BPN members and contributors :)

Here's the link:
http://morkelerasmus.com

Looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers
Morkel

Chantelle Voss
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Great website Morkel. You have taken some really breathtaking scenic and animal photographs. Thanks for sharing the link!

Greg Basco
09-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Morkel, looks nice, and I enjoyed the images. My only complaint would be about the main site opening a completely new browser window, which I find to be annoying on sites in general. And then if you hit the blog from the main site, you're back in the original browser window again. I'm not trying to be mean with the comment as I know that site redesign is a ton of work (I'm in the middle of redesigning my two websites now and did my blog last year), and I do understand the wish for you to be in control of how people view the site. I just really think you might be turning off quite a few potential viewers with the browser behavior. and that would be a shame because of the nice site you've designed

I'm on Firefox by the way but I assume the window behavior would be the same in any browser.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Hazel Grant
09-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Like the site. Hope you add more photos soon. Not too many there. Your photo on the site doesn't look like you as in the BPN photo????

Morkel Erasmus
09-29-2010, 01:54 AM
thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Greg I hear what you're saying and it comports with other feedback I have received, will revisit that idea :).

Svante Larsson
09-29-2010, 02:18 AM
Fantastic images. I've mainly seen your bird images before but I really enjoyed seeing also the other areas of your photos. Great work!!!

On the negative side - I wasn't really keen on the effect used for the image switching !!!

Chris Ober
09-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Ditto what Greg said about the new window popping up. I also don't have much patience with Flash only presentations and usually close the session rather quickly. Nice pics from what I saw though! :)

Greg Basco
09-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Great, Morkel. I'm glad the comments were helpful and that you took them in the spirit I meant them. I looked again and liked the stock interface too. If you could get it to be more self-contained, I think you'll have a real winner. Opening a different site or section in a new tab is Ok I think but a new window is a different story. Good luck!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Greg Basco
09-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Morkel, just happened to take a look and see that you've redone things. My last suggestion would be to have the stock images section available by its own link on the top menu so that it's as easy to find as possible. Also, you might use a CName for the stock images part to make it clear those images are part of your site too, assuming that's the case.

Cheers,
Greg

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-29-2010, 08:57 AM
I agree, great site wonderful images, but I also hate Flash presentations, a little tweaking and I would willing sign up. :)

Paul Lagasi
09-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Wow very nice...I've always enjoyed seeing your photos of Africa in here...

Sid Garige
09-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Very very nice job Morkel. Working on a satellite link and speed seems to be fine. Well organized galleries.

Morkel Erasmus
09-30-2010, 03:56 AM
thanks for the varied comments everyone. I am busy preparing the "non-flash" version which is more a mobile-device-friendly version than it is a full HTML web version, should have a new landing page where you can choose between the 2 soon.

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Morkel, I liked the look-and-feel of the site a lot. Well done.

Morkel Erasmus
10-01-2010, 12:47 AM
thank you Kaustubh

Johan Kruger
10-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I think the flash transitions are quite slick, like the site and the photos

Morkel Erasmus
10-11-2010, 01:35 PM
thanks Johan :)

allanrube
10-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree with Christopher. That Flash bar is a turn off to me. It really slows things down and detracts from the wonderful images you are presenting.