PDA

View Full Version : Rocks and Stuff (with shameless plug)

Morkel Erasmus
09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
This post will contain a little shameless plug - mods please bear with me ;)

On the 28th of September I will turn 28 years old - no real significance in the numbers, but it marks a significant step in my photographic career as I launch my new "official" website. Would love for you to pop in and let me know what you think!

http://morkelerasmus.com

Captured this one recently in the Karoo desert (well, semi-desert) of South Africa. Blend of 3 exposures using luminosity masks. We had VERY little decent cloud cover on our trip - which was great for the wildlife photography part but not that great for landscape photography...

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM
f16 @ ISO-100
Kenko Pro CPL

Ron Bernstein
09-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Dear Morkel,

Congratulations on this lovely image, and on your very impressive site! I was delighted to see that by simply hovering over a gallery it would
start a slide show. I thought the slides were well-timed, and that they were all very strong. The only criticism i have is that the picture of you
is intentionally veiled, as if behind a semitransparent film. I think that if someone is clicking on that link to see you, it's better form to reward them
with a picture of you, not a riddle. I hope that is helpful, and wish you many successes!

Dave Mills
09-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Morkel, I checked out your website and liked it's clean look. The logo is also impressive when you see it larger. Finally, lots of great images with beautiful color and magnificent skies...
In this case I liked the fact you took the rocks and created a foreground and in a way they lead you to the rear of the image. Good view of the terrain along with a minimal sky that has some interest.
Nice blend of exposures and good use of later light...

Roman Kurywczak
09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey Morkel,
Headed out for a few weeks but checked it out briefly......looks good and congrats! I think Dave nailed the assesment of the very well handled image too....Congrats and nicely done!

Morkel Erasmus
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM
thanks a lot Dave, Ron & Roman :)

Ron - if I make that picture fully visible the text is unreadable :)

Ron Bernstein
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=Morkel Erasmus;572823]

Ron - if I make that picture fully visible the text is unreadable :)

Then I would make the picture available in a way that you didn't face
that conundrum, but I think that if someone is clicking on that tab it is
to come face to face with the photographer, not with an image that
suggests he is hiding. I was disappointed; others might be. Put another way,
it certainly doesn't show you in a good light or add value.
It was my only negative impression of an otherwise terrific site. Keep up the great work!

Morkel Erasmus
09-29-2010, 01:57 AM
thanks for the feedback Ron...will see what I can do but it is a template that I worked from :(

Andrew McLachlan
09-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Morkel,

Love the wide anlge view with the rocks in the foreground. As Dave said they carry you through the image to the background. Nicely done!