PDA

View Full Version : lights and shadows

Valerio Tarone
09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I was searching for deer at twiligth hour..an hard hallenge. The lines the light and shadows.
Nikon D300 zoom 70-300 at 190mm AF dinamic spot f5,6 1/60 ISO 200.
My intention was to entice, only a bit, the contrast light-shadows: in PPing I made very slight
work on the histograms and levels,a bit use of color control and N point control, red+1 in the selective points.
Do you agree? comments. For Robert: I'm studying Nikon Capture and progressing in understaning what to do, example 'blending modes' maybe corresponds to 'Shaped selections' in N.C.

Dave Mills
09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi Valerio, I like the diagonal ridge lines and the play of light and shadow.Good detail in all areas.
A few things...Not sure if you used a tripod but the image is not sharp. Generally shooting a landscape at F5.6 is not a good idea. Even though you appeared far away 5.6 is very limited.
I would shoot these at F16 or 22.and then you know you'll be sharp throughout. If your hand holding that creates problems with SS. All serious landscape shooters generally use tripods due to slow SS.
Finally, the rocks have an unatural blue cast to them.

Roman Kurywczak
09-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Hey Valerio,
Dave captured the critique very well.....can't offer more. Comp wise you did very well so I wonder if you are doing something in post processing or it was in the field?

Valerio Tarone
09-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes I see I have to improve correcting some mistakes. Yes, I'll get on the tripod. The narrow SS are the that I wrote some 2 weeks ago, adviced in www.asferico.com.
The blue is excessive, due to to my work in N point, like to say 'local enhancement point'. Unluckily for me 1-2 minutes after the dark has fallen over. Thanks.

Dave Blinder
09-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Valerie - I also like the comp and diagonals. If necessary, I'd recommend bracketing via ISO increases in a situation like this and targeting an aperture of at least F/8. 1/60s on a 300mm lens might be occasionally sharp due to VR (IS), but wouldn't be a certainty.